• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when are traffic signs in effect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evor1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

basically say theres a speed limit sign that is lower up ahead. does that speed limit go in effect directly at the sign? THus even though i see it beforehand comming up to it, does it not go into effect technically until i pass it?

Maestro64

Can not say for sure for CA however I know some state and PA and GA specifically says that you have to be at speed limit 500 ft after the sign, in their code they specifically say a ticket can not be written within the 500 ft condition except in the case of a school zone then is it immediately.

poncho

Takes effect at the sign.

OP wrote:
theres a speed limit sign that is lower up ahead.
CA has signs that warn up ahead the speed will be reduced. The warning usually states the new speed limit up ahead. Impossible that police could interpret that warning sign the new speed limit takes effect once past it. Not 100% sure what the calculated distance is in CA.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP wrote:

CA has signs that warn up ahead the speed will be reduced.
In SOME instances. However, those signs are purely advisory in nature and have no effect on the actual speed limit. They seem to be placed when there is a SIGNIFICANT change in the speed limit.
For example, I travel on a road EVERY DAY that changes from 40 to 35 mph. There are no signs in advance advising of the lower speed.
The warning usually states the new speed limit up ahead. Impossible that police could interpret that warning sign the new speed limit takes effect once past it.
That makes no sense...

poncho

In SOME instances. However, those signs are purely advisory in nature and have no effect on the actual speed limit. They seem to be placed when there is a SIGNIFICANT change in the speed limit.
For example, I travel on a road EVERY DAY that changes from 40 to 35 mph. There are no signs in advance advising of the lower speed.

That makes no sense...
Some speed changes are not warned of in advance. So your example because the road you travel every day changes from 40 to 35 mph and has no signs in advance reduction warning. It must mean no roads in California has:

REDUCE
35mph

Zigner

Some speed changes are not warned of in advance. So your example because the road you travel every day changes from 40 to 35 mph and has no signs in advance reduction warning. It must mean no roads in California has:
You said:
CA has signs that warn up ahead the speed will be reduced.
I said

So, how does your mind twist that to me saying that no roads have them in CA? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Poncho, you truly are an idiot.

poncho

You said:

I said

So, how does your mind twist that to me saying that no roads have them in CA? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Poncho, you truly are an idiot.
Missed one part of your sentence.

those signs are purely advisory in nature and have no effect on the actual speed limit
True they are advisory in nature and have no effect on the actual speed limit up ahead. They do advise: what is taught at driving school and explained in most states driver handbooks the DMV gives out to new drivers.

What are you supposed to do when a new speed sign comes into view?

What is the purpose and why do branches of government put those advisory signs up?

The Occultist

What is the purpose and why do branches of government put those advisory signs up?
It's a friendly reminder, is all. Just like some, but not all, stop signs have a preemptive warning that the stop sign will be forthcoming. I used to think that these were just placed when a stop sign was around a blind curve, but I've seen too many examples where the warning was there when it was not needed, and there was no warning when there probably should have been.

I_Got_Banned

But back to the original question... the answer is "Yes". . . for speed limits begin exactly where a sign is placed. For example, a sign that reduce a speed limit, you are expected to be at or near the posted limit as soon as you pass that particular sign.

Even when there is an advisory sign (like the ones Zigner mentioned) which state "Reduced Speed Zone Ahead", the newly established speed will begin as soon as you pass that particular Speed Limit.

Last edited:

poncho

Not legal advice and my example of law is NOT CALIFORNIA but would be willing to bet they have a simular statute.

The secretary of transportation is authorized to establish speed limits on county roads and city and town streets as shall be necessary to conform with any federal requirements which are a prescribed condition for the allocation of federal funds to the state.
PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.

Transportation Commission determines from the results of an engineering and traffic investigation that a prima facie speed limit in this subchapter is unreasonable or unsafe on a part of the highway system, the commission, by order recorded in its minutes

(2) the failure to alter state speed limits will prevent the state from receiving money from the United States for highway purposes.
Part of that determination makes it harder for Police to set up speed traps. Used two states for the above quote.

a traffic infraction for violation of any of the laws of this state or of any orders, rules, or regulations of any city or town or other political subdivision regarding speed if the same is determined by a particular section of or distance on a public highway, the length of which has been accurately measured off or otherwise designated or determined and either:
The advisory signs are calculated much like speed "traps" are supposed to be calculated in most states. 9 times out of 10 those signs are put up after enough people have proven local Police have been using a certain stretch as a speed "trap".

If you know the location of a advisory sign; approach it going the speed limit. When the sign comes into view let off the gas. You should be in most cases doing the new limit when you the prima facie speed limit sign.

If you know your states measured distance of what is speeding. Merely passing a new posted sign and not being at the new limit, can be argued not really speeding. Most states have simular uniformed traffic laws because they all love federal funds.

Zigner

Not legal advice and my example of law is NOT CALIFORNIA but would be willing to bet they have a simular statute. blah blah blah blah blah

Poncho - your post means nothing. Please go away unless you have something useful and (get this ) RELEVANT to post.

I_Got_Banned

Not legal advice and my example of law is NOT CALIFORNIA
So, since this is a CALIFORNIA thread (you couldn't have missed that part... It is on the 1st line of the 1st post) then your entire post is pointless, useless and more importantly, a waste of server space...

but would be willing to bet they have a simular statute.
. . . and unless you can find it and post it, then you are not offering anything beneficial!

poncho

Poncho - your post means nothing. Please go away unless you have something useful and (get this ) RELEVANT to post.
Have you read the California law and how they calculate speed signs? OP asked about reduced speed signs and when the speed limit comes into effect.

1.) the reduce speed signs are calculated its in California vehicle code. That calculation assumes the driver is at the speed limit when the advisory sign comes into view. When the reduce speed sign is visible lift off the gas and when you reach the new limit. Your car should be traveling the new speed limit.

2.) free legal advice. Advice relevant to the discussion based on the statutes of the state.

3.) Speed for it to be speeding needs to be calculated between two points. Marked entrance and exit. Merely passing a new speed limit sign after passing does not constitute speeding by California motor vehicle code.

Example: When the CHP sets up a speed "trap" on I-5. You see the radar car and then down the highway you see the pursuit vehicle. Marked entrance (radar) and marked exit (pursuit vehicle). Thats when breaking the speed limit comes into effect!

poncho

So, since this is a CALIFORNIA thread (you couldn't have missed that part... It is on the 1st line of the 1st post) then your entire post is pointless, useless and more importantly, a waste of server space...

. . . and unless you can find it and post it, then you are not offering anything beneficial!
Do you want the California vehicle code I used for my example. I can lie when proving a second point. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">