• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where in the GA code are the penalties for speeding in a School Zone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I received a ticket for 35 in a 25, and under additional violations the officer listed School Zone, and section 40-6-151. I can't find any section 40-6-151 on any online online search I've tried (google through to special sites). Assuming the officer might have miswrote the section, I've also searched for all references to School Zone, School (in the traffic chapter (40)) in the code, and found nothing that states what the penalty is for speeding in a School Zone. I've seen many statements on this forum and elsewhere that it doubles the fine, but I can't find that in the code. Worse, I've also seen some claim that speeding in a school zone is considered equivelant to a DUI, but without finding any info in the code, I can't determine the accuracy of that.

This situation is compounded by the fact that after 2 1/2 weeks, when I called to find out what the fine would be, the computer response said the ticket had not been put into the system yet, that they were experiencing problems.

Thanks for any information!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

Search this forum for 40-6-151... This same question has come up before, and while I couldn't find that specific number listed (in fact all speeding codes are in the 40-6-180 to 40-6-183 range)... and aside from the response I posted in the other thread, the only thing I can think of is that you were cited in violation of a county or municipal code that is not in the Georgia Codes.

As for your question about the fine amount, there is no specific answer. Here's what I found here:
georgia.gov - Tickets and Fines

It says:
Fines for traffic citations issued by the Georgia State Patrol are set by the local courts. State Troopers do not set the fines and do not collect traffic fines. For the amount of the fine and information on how to answer the citation, contact the county court listed on the traffic citation.

I would assume the same applies to local law enforcement as well as State Patrol.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">