• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to go from here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChrisGarza

This is an issues with Two (2) States, Maryland and North Carolina.

First I apologize to the Admins/Mods if I posted this in the improper forum. This is a long drawn out issue so I will keep it short with as much info as I can, and ANY help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

OK, March of 2009 I purchased a vehicle in Virginia from a family member. I took the tags from another vehicle of mine to put on it while I drove it back to Maryland (I know this was a stupid idea to begin with). I know we are here for Legalities not moral issues but keep in mind the moral issues are what led to the poor decisions. I am a father of 4 and married, at the time I was the sole provider for the 6 of us and working 2 full-time jobs while putting my wife through medical school. Money was not an easy thing to come up with and our only vehicle had just broke down. I drove back without issue and went ahead to my second job, a bouncer in down town Annapolis at the time. Again money was super tight and I could not afford the night off and get tags the next day. While ending my shift, I got into my car and turned the Parking Lamps on instead of the headlights (new car and was literally the first time I had to use the headlights). I was parked on the side of the street and basically had to make a U-Turn from the parking spot. No sooner then me pulling out of the spot I noticed the lights where off and before I even got straightened out in my lane I was being pulled over. Now I am sure he thought I must've been drinking and was so sloppy I forgot my headlights, especially since he gave me a sobriety test and breathalyzer which I passed .000% BAC (I don't drink at all). I did receive tickets for improperly displaying headlights and displaying tags for another vehicle. We were also moving to North Carolina a week after the tickets were issued and neither of the tickets were mandatory court appearances so I was just going to pay them. However before being released I was given two more tickets. One was for Driving on a Revoked or Suspended License and the second was for driving on a Suspended License! I had no clue I was revoked or suspended and apparently neither did they at the time. I could not understand the tickets because they seem to be the same thing?! There was no way I could stay in Maryland for another month or two to figure this out nor did I have the money to obtain a Lawyer. The entire purpose of moving was for a single full-time position that Grossed me an extra $44k/yr and saved me 30 hours a week! I received a NC Drivers License without issue and basically forgot about the tickets in MD.

Fast forward to August of 2015 and I get pulled over in a random checkpoint and along with about 20 other vehicles I am asked to wait while they run our License's. The officer comes back and hands me a ticket for driving on a Suspended license! Not a suspended out of state but a NC license! I have never had a single moving violations in this state at all. I have no debts owed to the state nor any type of arrearages for child support (I have custody of all my children). I contact the local DMV and they tell me its because I have a Revocation in the state of MD, therefor the NC license that was issued to me is Null and Void! Totally invalid for the last 6 years I have been driving on it. Meanwhile I receive a letter from my insurance company dropping my policy and my company putting me on suspension until this is resolved. By the way I am a Service Manager for a Commercial/Industrial HVAC/R company, all I do is drive!!! They did allow me to take a lower position until this is clarified but it's the difference of $18.75/hr!!!!!! Basically I went from $32.75/hr to $14/hr or it was complete suspension, even with my resume its no good without a license. I can't do service if I can't get to the job! Again 4 kids and a wife in her last year of medical school, I am still the sole provider. Maryland wants me to come back to MD to face the charges but there is no way I can do that. We have no family at all,both my wife and I have no living relatives other then her 2 estranged aunts. We have no help or anyway to get by if MD decides they want to give me time for this or whatever. I financially cannot afford to make the 6.5 hour trip up there. I can't afford the time off work, the gas, the hotel, and I definitely cannot leave them without a vehicle (I have been driving my work van for 6+ years, we had no reason for a second personal)! Since MD and NC do not share reciprocity between the courts NC will not hear me until MD has released my license. What do I do??? Again I know this is a matter of legality and not morality but damn I can't go to MD without assurance I will be back that same day, and I really don't have the money for a lawyer. Not unless one of you guys want to work out a deal on some HVAC lol. I'm sure the answer will be "Go to MD and face the Judge" but can anybody help me with this? Maybe there is a way this can be done without having to physically go to MD? Anything ? I am not trying to beat the charges and am willing to face whatever punishment is handed to me, but for me to go to MD might as well be the death penalty for my family. Well thank you guys for listening to my B.S. and Thanks to anyone who may have some helpful insight. - Chris.

Last edited:

ChrisGarza

Oh and to clarify a little more, the reason MD had my license revoked/suspended was from a D.U.I. I got my last year of college in 2002. I paid roughly $5k in fines and courses and also did 10 weekends, however I missed exactly $7.02 in fine payments and they suspended my license for that. I did pay the $7.02 btw. Also I had a D.U.I. in the state of Pennsylvania my first 2 weeks of college (1998) I paid about $3500 in fines and courses and had to do 1 weekend in county for it. Since I received a Second D.U.I. within 5 years of the first MD gave me 30 days but the Judge gave me 10 weekends due to me working 2 full-time jobs them as well. That is the extent of my criminal career. Never been in trouble for anything else. I am just a hard working father and Husband who as of Feb 24th 2015 celebrated 9 years of sobriety. I just mad some bad choices early in life and I just can't seem to get away from them.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So let's get this straight... you are the stupid one, intentionally broke the law, and now you're looking for a way out? Go to court and straighten out your issue. Or hire an attorney who can possibly deal with it for you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">