• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Victim123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona, Glendale

Who is at fault?

A car traveling north on the main drive leaveing to the main street strikes another car heading west going from one parking lot to another crossing the main drive. The car traveling north had time to hit the brakes but it wasnt enough. The car traveling west was struck in the drivers fender and door. This happen to be on private property. There was no stop signes for either of the drivers. There is a stop signe heading east in the parking lot. Since this was on private property there was no traffic citations and no report filled out. This accident took place about 5 pm. so the sun was setting in the west. Thankyou

JETX

The front of the car driving north, hit the side of the car driving west. If there is single at-fault it is the driver going north.

The Occultist

The front of the car driving north, hit the side of the car driving west. If there is single at-fault it is the driver going north.
Just to clarify: since the car heading west was able to pull out of the parking lot fast enough to be hit by the car that retains right-of-way on the roadway, he was able to avoid fault?

JETX

Just to clarify: since the car heading west was able to pull out of the parking lot fast enough to be hit by the car that retains right-of-way on the roadway, he was able to avoid fault?
No 'roadway' or pulling out of the parking lot involved. Both vehicles were on private property (parking lot).
My read was that the vehicles were at an 'intersection' in the parking lot and 'fault' (my opinion) was purely based on who hit whom and where.

The Occultist

No 'roadway' or pulling out of the parking lot involved. Both vehicles were on private property (parking lot).
My read was that the vehicles were at an 'intersection' in the parking lot and 'fault' (my opinion) was purely based on who hit whom and where.
Ah, I see. I read the OP to be that there were two separate parkings lots belonging to two different businesses or strip malls or whatever, and between the two parking lots was a roadway that would eventually connect with an actual intersection, and that the car that got hit was attempting to go from one parking lot to the other via this roadway separating them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">