• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

some12

What is the name of your state? ohio
My husband recently got a ticket while making a delivery on company time for driving a truck (just under CDL requirement) on a "no trucks" street. The delivery was on this particular street. Before leaving, he asked his employer for directions, who replied that the street is off Rt. X. So, he got off Rt. X onto the street. Officer said he should have traveled down another road first, and then cut over to the delivery street to minimize the amount of time spent on this road. To make matters worse, his employer had not yet provided him with a copy of proof of insurance. The company is now refusing to pay the ticket, saying that it is his responsibility, even though he followed their directions, and in a previous incident (2 yrs. ago) they paid for a speeding ticket. I understand that the violation will go on his driving record, but who is responsible for paying the ticket? Furthermore, he must now go in person to show proof of insurance, which the company is willing to pay his time for, but will not pay his time if he chooses to fight the ticket in court. There was no prior agreement, to our knowlege, between my husband and the company as to who is responsible in the event of a traffic violation.

djohnson

I am not an attorney so I can't answer legally what you can do as far as pressing th company to pay. Your husband was driving so ultimately he is the one that will have to pay it through the courts. If he fights it he would need a better defense than 'I done what my boss told me to do.' or he will lose. If the company is responsible or not may be up to that company's policy but I don't see it happening. It's a very rare thing. I think he just needs to pay it and go on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">