• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

whos at fault in this accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pecman3

What is the name of your state? Michigan

There are two cars involved.
Car 1 was reported as speeding at 63mph(18mph over) in a 45mph speed limit zone.
Car 2 had a stop sign on a perpendicular street to Car 1's street. Car 2 did stop at the stop sign and proceeded out into the intersection. The two cars collided in the intersection (T-bone style). Whos at fault?
Car 1 was speeding but Car 2 pulled out into Car 1 after it stopped at it's stop sign.
Car 1 or Car 2?

Thank you

CdwJava

pecman3 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

There are two cars involved.
Car 1 was reported as speeding at 63mph(18mph over) in a 45mph speed limit zone.
Car 2 had a stop sign on a perpendicular street to Car 1's street. Car 2 did stop at the stop sign and proceeded out into the intersection. The two cars collided in the intersection (T-bone style). Whos at fault?
Car 1 was speeding but Car 2 pulled out into Car 1 after it stopped at it's stop sign.
Car 1 or Car 2?
Assuming straight roadways and no stop sign on #1's roadway, the primary collision factor would likely belong to car #2 for the failure to yield. A contributing factor might be car #1's speed.

However, insurance companies and civil courts might not care about the criminal assignment of fault.

- Carl

pecman3

What if a death was involved?

What if the driver of Car 1(the speeding car) had died due to the collision?
Would the driver of Car 2 have a criminal case on his hands? What would happen to the driver of Car 2.

This is for a class I am enrolled in. Any kind of response will be greatly appreciated.

S

seniorjudge

pecman3 said:
Would the driver of Car 2 have a criminal case on his hands? What would happen to the driver of Car 2.

This is for a class I am enrolled in. Any kind of response will be greatly appreciated.
We don't do homework.

Carl, we got fooled again.

CdwJava

pecman3 said:

Possibly vehicular manslaughter ... but, there are a number of things that MIGHT come in to play here.

Not being specifically familiar with Michigan's laws, I can't say with certainty what the driver of vehicle #2 might face. My answers wer ebased upon the current state of CA law, so you may want to double check with MI law.

Contact your state highway patrol or state police and see what their answer might be.

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

CdwJava said:
Oh well .. I'm used to doing some of my sons' homework ... I just get drawn into it. :)

- Carl
You are a wild and crazy ex-hippie from the 60s AND you do your kid's homework!

Does the poor boy even stand a chance?

CdwJava

seniorjudge said:
You are a wild and crazy ex-hippie from the 60s AND you do your kid's homework!

Does the poor boy even stand a chance?
Ex-hippie? Heh ... I was still in grade school when the 60's ended. :)

And my boys find that I do more finding the fault in their homework then I do actual work for them. And with my wife being a teacher, they are simply doomed!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">