• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whose right here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nskb54

California

Hi, at my school in California, we have to make a left turn at a certain intersection. however over the past few years students have discovered a back ally that after going straight through the intersection can be found on the right hand side. This ally intersects at several points with the parking lot of a shopping center. recently many of my friends and i have been confronted by employees of stores in the center about us not being able to drive through there, is it illegal? or can we use that parking lot as a way to get from the back alley to the main street?

CdwJava

California

Hi, at my school in California, we have to make a left turn at a certain intersection. however over the past few years students have discovered a back ally that after going straight through the intersection can be found on the right hand side. This ally intersects at several points with the parking lot of a shopping center. recently many of my friends and i have been confronted by employees of stores in the center about us not being able to drive through there, is it illegal? or can we use that parking lot as a way to get from the back alley to the main street?
Do you have a Google map location we could view?

It might be unlawful, but this would depend on local ordinance, for the most part.

In general, you can lawfully traverse a public alley. In general, you can drive through a parking lot open to the general public. But, depending on the specific circumstances and local ordinances, it might be unlawful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">