• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wierd Traffic Ticket Situtation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

by0b

Calfornia
I received a traffic ticket. I went to the court to contest the ticket. At the clerks window, I was told the ticket had been satisified. I asked how? I was told it had been paid. I aked by who? I was told that the ticket was assigned to a 16 yr. old male, and he had paid the ticket. I told the clerk, I am a 40 yr. old male and I didn't pay the ticket. I was told since the ticket # shows it as paid, there was no further action to be taken by me. They kept my ticket.
Two months later after the court date, I receive a notice that I should appear in aprx. two months from now because of an error. The error is stating the violation is being changed from one violation to another violation but the violations noted are identical. Something is wrong here. Did they lose my ticket? Were they double booking the ticket number? It's obvious there wasn't a violation change. I called the court and there is no reference of my name and it says the ticket was paid.
Any advice or comments.

JIMinCA

That is weird... but you have to give all the details. What were you originally charged with? Do you still have the ticket? What is the new charge? All the details will make your post easier to respond to....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should appear when you are told to. There was obviously a data-entry error that is either corrected, or being corrected.

I_Got_Banned

If you were to visit the Court's website, and after clicking on the "Traffic" link, my guess is that you will find two ways to search for a traffic citation.

One is a citation # search (you will need the citation #, the law enforcement agency which issued the citation as well as your date of birth).
And two, a Driver's License # search (you will need to enter your DL#, and your date of birth).
Use both and see what you come up with. The citation that you are asking about (should) show up using both... But definately when using the DL# search.

My other guess is that the amendment form that you received was intended to amend the DL# associated with this particular citation but since mistakes like that do not happen that often, and since the form only allows for a "violation/CVC" amendment, it was used to notify you of your pending court appearance.

Consider yourself lucky that when the initial error was discovered, someone decided to make the amendment and notify you of it instead of just assuming that you failed to appear by adding a CVC 40508 &/or a 40509 and subsequesntly sending the citation to collection.

The story gets even weirder when warrants are issued but no one knows why.
Warrants are not TYPICALLY issued for failure to appear on a traffic citation (infraction) unless it is a misdemeanor violation OR unless the driver has (IIRC) two other FTA's for other traffic citations.
Most if not all counties send infraction FTA's to collection agencies thereby leaving jail "accomodations" for either those with heftier fines or more serious offenses.

JIMinCA

Another thing to consider is that if the court's record shows the ticket was paid... that equates to an admission of guilt. You should call DMV. I bet they will tell you that the ticket is counted as a conviction against your record.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Another thing to consider is that if the court's record shows the ticket was paid... that equates to an admission of guilt. You should call DMV. I bet they will tell you that the ticket is counted as a conviction against your record.
Excellent point

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">