• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will a bench warrant stop re-entry into the US?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

el_advice

My Boyfriend left the country without paying for his speeding ticket back in 2006/2007. He was pulled over in Waller County, TX and I attempted to check their arrest warrant records with no luck in finding his name on the list. He no longer has the ticket so I'm not sure which district court he was suppose to appear to. We want to pay off the ticket before he returns to the US but how do I find out if he has a warrant and whether it can be settled by paying it off and not getting arrested? I really appreciate the help if you can, Thank you.

I_Got_Banned

My Boyfriend left the country without paying for his speeding ticket back in 2006/2007. He was pulled over in Waller County, TX and I attempted to check their arrest warrant records with no luck in finding his name on the list. He no longer has the ticket so I'm not sure which district court he was suppose to appear to.
Does he remember where specifically the violation was committed? if so then you should be able to find out which specific law enforcement agency cited him and/or which particular court he was scheduled to appear at.

Or, he can contact the DMV and request a copy of his driving record which will reveal what outstanding citations he has on there.

Or you can contact your insurance agent, have them run his license number and that will give you some info about the citation.

Or you can contact your local bail bonds office, request that they run his info and that will give you the information about the warrant, how much it is for... etc...

We want to pay off the ticket before he returns to the US but how do I find out if he has a warrant and whether it can be settled by paying it off and not getting arrested? I really appreciate the help if you can, Thank you.
Usually, when a bench warrant is issued, a personal appearance by the defendant in court is required. You maybe able to post bail on his behalf with the court or with a bail bondsman but that will mean that they will schedule a court appearance for him so have that scheduled according to his return date to ensure that he will appear in court on the date he is scheduled to do so.

Also, there are different types of warrants... Some are local and some are entered into the national database (NCIC). So will he be arrested upon his re-entry? It depends on what type of warrant was issued, the court that issued it, how much his bail is and how bad they want his money...

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">