• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will the court dismiss the case after I plea not guilty on a signed sheet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnorlando

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I got a red light camera ticket. So I sent a letter asking if I can face my accuser, the camera. And I requested all maintenance records for the camera. To which I received a letter back saying "The Court has reviewed correspondence and the following is the court's response: (multiple options but they choose the other option)
Other: The court cannot consider any communication that does not have a signature. Please resubmit your request/plea/motion in writing with a signature and case number and mail or deliver to the clerk within thirty days from the date of this notice.

I owed $262.00 for the ticket but now my balance is $0 and my license has nothing pending. So now they want me to sign a sheet that says I plea not guilty and check a box that says i will attend the hearing. Or i can submit a affidavit saying i can't make it.

What should I do? I really dont want to lose money because things are tight right now and I just got married. Are they having me sign the form so they can dismiss it or will this end up being more of a nightmare?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I got a red light camera ticket. So I sent a letter asking if I can face my accuser, the camera. And I requested all maintenance records for the camera. To which I received a letter back saying "The Court has reviewed correspondence and the following is the court's response: (multiple options but they choose the other option)
Other: The court cannot consider any communication that does not have a signature. Please resubmit your request/plea/motion in writing with a signature and case number and mail or deliver to the clerk within thirty days from the date of this notice.

I owed $262.00 for the ticket but now my balance is $0 and my license has nothing pending. So now they want me to sign a sheet that says I plea not guilty and check a box that says i will attend the hearing. Or i can submit a affidavit saying i can't make it.

What should I do? I really dont want to lose money because things are tight right now and I just got married. Are they having me sign the form so they can dismiss it or will this end up being more of a nightmare?
At this point, you haven't sent anything (it wasn't signed.) They are giving you a "do-over", which they're really not even required to do. If there is a hearing, you should attend...how else would you expect to argue your case?

johnorlando

At this point, you haven't sent anything (it wasn't signed.) They are giving you a "do-over", which they're really not even required to do. If there is a hearing, you should attend...how else would you expect to argue your case?
thank you for your response. I really dont know where to ask questions. do you think if i go to the court they will for sure charge me as guilty? I really just want to find a way not to pay them. Was i right to say I want to face my accuser, the camera? and to request the records?

I know on forums their are rules and such. I really just am really nervous about it and dont want anything bad to happen. I realize now i shouldve just payed it but i can't go back in time. Any advice would really help me.

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
thank you for your response. I really dont know where to ask questions. do you think if i go to the court they will for sure charge me as guilty? I really just want to find a way not to pay them. Was i right to say I want to face my accuser, the camera? and to request the records?

I know on forums their are rules and such. I really just am really nervous about it and dont want anything bad to happen. I realize now i shouldve just payed it but i can't go back in time. Any advice would really help me.

Thank you
I think that it is more likely than not that you will be found guilty and have to pay either way, but if you don't argue the matter, then you're almost assured of it.

johnorlando

Thank you
do you think there is a way to pay it without having to go to the court? I cannot miss a day of work.

johnorlando

I'm sure there is - ask the court (you should be able to call them for this.)
I called them and they said to just write a letter back because apparently they never sent me a notice which shouldve been over a hundred dollars cheaper. and ask to be able to pay that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">