• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will errors on a speeding ticket result in the charges being dropped?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racer72

Only if the license plate was the reason for the stop. The incorrect plate number does not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation.

Hey There

More info needed

What is the name of your state? SF Bay Area in California

My License Plate number is wrong on the ticket....
Depends
Were you issued the ticket by an officer?
Or by a camera?
According to the information on the website Speeding Ticket FAQ

Material defects may include: *See MCL 257.742(1), 257.727c(3), and MCR 4.101(E)(1).

• No signature on the citation by the citing officer. Incorrect identification of the defendant. • Incomplete identification of the offense. • Failure to specify the location of the offense. • Failure to specify the date of the offense, or entry of an incorrect date.

How wrong is the licence plate on your ticket?
One number or letter badly written or more?

Regards,
Hey There

Hey There

Plan B

Charmagne72 It was one wrong letter

If you plan on fighting your ticket information on the internet and at a library can be used to fight the violation itself rather than step into court with a defence that one letter was incorrect on the licence plate.
One option a driver cited for a traffic violation has is to enter a not guilty plea on the violation itself. When a driver enters a not guilty plea he is simply stating that he is exercising his right to have his day in court. That it is the obligation of the prosecution to prove guilt , not the obligation of the driver.

(SOURCES) A book on fighting tickets in Ca., Massachusetts Bar Association web, Speeding Ticket -- Fighting or Plea Bargaining web definition in legal dictionary, JIMin Ca. posts on this forum.

What was the violation the officer cited you for on your ticket?

Best Regards,
Hey There

JIMinCA

Oh, I know nobody here cares. but WERE you going 60 in a 45 zone?
I don't care if the OP was going 60 in a 45 zone as that doesn't necessarily mean the OP is guilty of anything. If you would spend a bit of time reading the vehicle code and applicable case law, you would know that. Furthermore, the whole intent of this site is to offer opinions on viable legal defenses... not to determine guilt or innocence.

fairisfair

I don't care if the OP was going 60 in a 45 zone as that doesn't necessarily mean the OP is guilty of anything. If you would spend a bit of time reading the vehicle code and applicable case law, you would know that. Furthermore, the whole intent of this site is to offer opinions on viable legal defenses... not to determine guilt or innocence.
yeah, over in the family law section we are thinking about telling people how to steal children, legally. I mean as long as we find a loophole.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">