• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will having a speed limiter help beat a ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suvguy

What is the name of your state? Florida

I recently got a speeding ticket in FL and the officer said I was doing over 100 in a 65 zone. He was stationary and clocked me with a radar.

However, the SUV I own has a built in speed limiter that kicks in at about 95 and cuts the gas. Is this something I could contest in court?

I have a pretty decent driving record, two tickets (first one 15 years ago, the second about 5 years ago). I tend to drive a little fast, usually 5 - 10 over the limit, and on the day of this ticket I could believe I was going 75 or even 80, but there's no way I was doing 100+. Should I try to take it to court or is it better to just plead no contest and take the safe driver class to keep the points off my license?

Bravo8

I don't have much advice, but I can tell you that my truck has a governor too that supposedly cuts the gas at about 95 mph or so....and I have had it up to about 100 before it kicked in.

S

seniorjudge

suvguy said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I recently got a speeding ticket in FL and the officer said I was doing over 100 in a 65 zone. He was stationary and clocked me with a radar.

However, the SUV I own has a built in speed limiter that kicks in at about 95 and cuts the gas. Is this something I could contest in court?

I have a pretty decent driving record, two tickets (first one 15 years ago, the second about 5 years ago). I tend to drive a little fast, usually 5 - 10 over the limit, and on the day of this ticket I could believe I was going 75 or even 80, but there's no way I was doing 100+. Should I try to take it to court or is it better to just plead no contest and take the safe driver class to keep the points off my license?
You have no evidence to disprove the speeding charge. The only defense to speeding is that you were not speeding. So plead guilty and take the safe driver class (if offered) to keep your points down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">