• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will i go to jail??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DevilDog1820

I live in Maryland

Im a U.S. Marine 20 yrs old. I was pulled over twice for driving on a suspended license. I was speeding on the first occasion got pulled over presented drivers license the officer ran my information. Informed me my license was suspended and kept it. Gave me a ticket for speeding and possesion of a suspended licence and driving while on suspended licence. My girlfriend drove the car from that point and we were let go.The second occasion I was speeding got pulled over. Did not have a license to present. The officer let someone come get my car for me so i wouldnt have to pay impound fees but gave me a ticket for speeding , failure to present a drivers licence, and driving on a suspended license. The second time a was arrested takin to preicnt for about 2 hours then the court house for an hour signed some papers and left. I have both court dates coming up this month. Aug. 19th and Aug. 20th. I beleive the punishment could be 1000 dollar fine or higher or a year in prison. WILL I GO TO JAIL

I_Got_Banned

I beleive the punishment could be 1000 dollar fine or higher or a year in prison. WILL I GO TO JAIL
You're pretty close... for your first offense. But you have "2"...

So here is what I found for you:

§ 27-102.​
Violation of license restriction or rule or regulation a misdemeanor.

Except as provided in § 21-1207.1 of this article, any person who violates a restriction imposed on any license under the Maryland Vehicle Law or who violates any rule or regulation adopted under any provision of the Maryland Vehicle Law is guilty of a misdemeanor and, in addition to any administrative penalty provided for in the Maryland Vehicle Law, is subject to the penalties provided for in § 27-101(b) of this title or, if greater, to the same penalties as are provided for a violation of the statute for or under which the restriction is imposed or the rule or regulation adopted.​

§ 27-101.

Penalties for misdemeanor.
(h) Penalties - $1,000 and 1 year; $1,000 and 2 years.

- Any person who is convicted of a violation of any of the provisions of § 16-303(a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) of this article ("Driving while license is canceled, suspended, refused, or revoked"), § 17-107 of this article ("Prohibitions"), or § 17-110 of this article ("Providing false evidence of required security") is subject to:
(1) For a first offense, a fine of not more than $1,000, or imprisonment for not more than 1 year, or both; and
(2) For any subsequent offense, a fine of not more than $1,000, or imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or both.​

So what will you get? Only the Judge can decide....

This, is without a doubt, a good time for you to CALL AN ATTORNEY.

DevilDog1820

Will I go to Jail

Ok so I had a genereal idea of what the law you posted was. But I was more looking for something to relax me. I know what the punishment could be but Im looking for maybe some personal experience. Been there done that, Helped defend that, Something. I hoping if I go in my Marine Uniform and just plead guilty with no excuse, Figure excuses just piss people off, that maybe ill get a 500 dollar fine. IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT A FINE.... JAIL =( ... If I get jailed it would ruin my career with the military. I wouldnt be able to pay bills i'd lose everything in a year. Should I get a lawyer. really? I know a person that hit a car while drunk continued to leave the scene and ran from police and got off free and clear only paying court fees because it was his first time. and he had No lawyer

Maestro64

Personal experience does not matter, every case in unique you never know what will happen. You could get a pro-military judge and appriciates you putting yourself in harms way and let you off easy or you could get some anti-war judge and sees you as the problem in this country and hits you with the max.

If the worse that can happen to you is paying the fine, then go ahead and do it yourself, it is worth the learning experience at the least. However, as IGB pointed out jail time is an option in that case you need a lawyer.

Since you are in the military I am pretty sure they provide free legal support for things like this. A lawyer will make sure the worse does not happen, plus they will know the court and possibly the judge and knows what works best.

davew128

IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT A FINE.... JAIL =( ... If I get jailed it would ruin my career with the military. I wouldnt be able to pay bills i'd lose everything in a year.
Should have thought about that before driving and getting pulled over with a suspended license. TWICE. Not to mention it appears speed limits are problematic for you too.

xchiefmarshal

You know better, being a Marine doesn't make you bullet proof

Ok so I had a genereal idea of what the law you posted was. But I was more looking for something to relax me. I know what the punishment could be but Im looking for maybe some personal experience. Been there done that, Helped defend that, Something. I hoping if I go in my Marine Uniform and just plead guilty with no excuse, Figure excuses just piss people off, that maybe ill get a 500 dollar fine. IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT A FINE.... JAIL =( ... If I get jailed it would ruin my career with the military. I wouldnt be able to pay bills i'd lose everything in a year. Should I get a lawyer. really? I know a person that hit a car while drunk continued to leave the scene and ran from police and got off free and clear only paying court fees because it was his first time. and he had No lawyer
You might lose your driving privilages for 1 to 10 years in addition to fines and jail. But if you got plenty of money, you can pay users fees to suspend any jail time (probation, judge, prosecutor fees) they only care about the money. You will pay court cost too. You may be an atv already. You can lose your license for life if you get caught again. Or wait for 10 years before you can legally drive again. So stop driving without a license.

DRTDEVL

Since you are in the military I am pretty sure they provide free legal support for things like this. A lawyer will make sure the worse does not happen, plus they will know the court and possibly the judge and knows what works best.
Uhh... No. JAG will not touch any civilian matters in court. He will be advised to hire a civilian attorney specializing in traffic cases.

DevilDog1820

Will I go to Jail

OK. thanks Gentleman. So im going to go get a lawyer asap. I dont want any of the fines if I could just wipe it away. HA but I know I jerked off and now I got a mess to deal with. Consequences. Thanks for the advice.
Also I dont think im bullet proof. so I usually try not to get hit but I no what you ment and I have 6 month suspension right now (pre court date/ judge ruling) and am not driving at current time... well i dont know if anyone cares but the trials in 16 days so ill post the outcome if they dont lock me up right there

CourtClerk

I hoping if I go in my Marine Uniform ...
That ought to go over well. Show up in court, in uniform and let the judge know that someone who is charged with protecting the country is irresponsible and has no regard for the laws of the state. Yeah, I see that going over really well.

DevilDog1820

So are you saying you feel I deserve to be jailed for this? Have you never made a mistake? It happens yes I was irresponsible TWICE .. Understood!! .. But im trying to not lose my title as a Marine I want to continue to serve mine and your country. That being said im asking for advice not to be criticized. I have already been "lashed" by the military for this and will soon reap the consicuinses of my actions on the civilian side as well. But Your reply tells me what. You think im an ass? ok and that helps me how and wastes your time because I dont care if you disagree or not. But eaither way for the rest of the advice and or statements thanks! i have a lawyer now and am hopeing the trial goes well.

DevilDog1820

will I go to jail

eehhh... I apologize for the last post. Your statement CourtClerk was not actually derogitory at all. I read it slighty different the first time over. Apologies!

cyjeff

When you go to court, drop the whole "I made a mistake" thing.

You are a grown man. You knew the possibilities when you decided to get behind the wheel.

It is not the court's problem that you don't think far enough ahead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">