• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I go to jail for driving under a suspended license - first offense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmiller18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over - he just happened to run my plate and discover that my license was expired due to not paying a driver's responsibility fee. I moved recently and did not change my address - therefore I did not know about the fee or that my license was suspended. This is my first offense for driving under a suspended license and I do not have any drunk driving convictions on my record. However, I do have a felony on my record, a drug charge, that I got of probation for in April 2011. Will they hold this against me in any way?

I know that it's my fault for not changing my address, so I have taken steps to pay the fee and change my address since - I am waiting for my payment to go through - they said they have to wait 10 days until SOS gets it but they should have it by the 19th and I can go in and reinstate my license. My court date is on the 20th. What further steps can I take from here to make it easier on myself? Am I facing any jail time? How much can I expect to pay in fees?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

asiny

I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over - he just happened to run my plate and discover that my license was expired due to not paying a driver's responsibility fee.
What was the fee for?
I moved recently and did not change my address - therefore I did not know about the fee or that my license was suspended.
So your licence would not be valid either because it's in the old address?
This is my first offense for driving under a suspended license and I do not have any drunk driving convictions on my record. However, I do have a felony on my record, a drug charge, that I got of probation for in April 2011. Will they hold this against me in any way?
What were the circumstances surrounding the drug charge? How did they catch you?
I know that it's my fault for not changing my address, so I have taken steps to pay the fee and change my address since - I am waiting for my payment to go through - they said they have to wait 10 days until SOS gets it but they should have it by the 19th and I can go in and reinstate my license. My court date is on the 20th. What further steps can I take from here to make it easier on myself?
None. You were driving on a suspended licence. You failed to change your address. You have nothing to give to the court for them to be lenient about.
Am I facing any jail time? How much can I expect to pay in fees?
These really depend on what your probation says from April.

tmiller18

A driver's responsibility fee is a fee you get charged in Michigan for having 7 points or more on your license. I was in my 2nd year of paying and all my points were about to be wiped off my license. I am sure my license was valid before this - the only thing I had not changed was the address - I still live in the same state. I wasn't driving or doing anything related when I got the drug charge. I got off with 6 days in jail and 2 years probation but I got off early on probation due to good behavior.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was in my 2nd year of paying...
Then how could you say you didn't know about it? You should have also been told that failure to pay would result in a license suspension. So regardless of your address change you should have know that too.

tmiller18

My god, why are you people so rude? I asked specific questions, I didn't ask to get taunted and treated like an idiot. You think you're so high and mighty as if you've never gotten in trouble before. Well first of all, you shouldn't judge a person until you walk a mile in their shoes. You don't know what I have been through, or any of these people for that matter. And secondly, you can judge a person very well on how he treats someone who can do nothing for him, and judging by the likes of you, you seem to get your grins by ****ting on people who ask you for advice. You think that you can just talk to people any way you want and expect it not to come back to you? You act like you can prevent anything bad from happening to you, but trust me, you can't. I hope that the universe is just, and that maybe you'll go through some hard times just as I have. Maybe after that you can finally start treating other people with a little respect, irregardless of who you might think they are, because in reality, you know nothing.

tmiller18

then how could you say you didn't know about it? You should have also been told that failure to pay would result in a license suspension. So regardless of your address change you should have know that too.

the only reason i knew that i had to even pay it again was because the cop told me. I am just giving you the facts, sir.

tmiller18

Uh, you mean besides driving with a suspended license??
Note that it my first post I said, "I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over BESIDES driving with a suspended license." If you're just here to be an ass to people, maybe you should find somewhere else to go to get your kicks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Note that it my first post I said, "I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over BESIDES driving with a suspended license."
Here is your original post. Please point out where you made the statement that you placed in quotes above:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over - he just happened to run my plate and discover that my license was expired due to not paying a driver's responsibility fee. I moved recently and did not change my address - therefore I did not know about the fee or that my license was suspended. This is my first offense for driving under a suspended license and I do not have any drunk driving convictions on my record. However, I do have a felony on my record, a drug charge, that I got of probation for in April 2011. Will they hold this against me in any way?

I know that it's my fault for not changing my address, so I have taken steps to pay the fee and change my address since - I am waiting for my payment to go through - they said they have to wait 10 days until SOS gets it but they should have it by the 19th and I can go in and reinstate my license. My court date is on the 20th. What further steps can I take from here to make it easier on myself? Am I facing any jail time? How much can I expect to pay in fees?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">