+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    tmiller18 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5

    Will I go to jail for driving under a suspended license - first offense?

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

    I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over - he just happened to run my plate and discover that my license was expired due to not paying a driver's responsibility fee. I moved recently and did not change my address - therefore I did not know about the fee or that my license was suspended. This is my first offense for driving under a suspended license and I do not have any drunk driving convictions on my record. However, I do have a felony on my record, a drug charge, that I got of probation for in April 2011. Will they hold this against me in any way?

    I know that it's my fault for not changing my address, so I have taken steps to pay the fee and change my address since - I am waiting for my payment to go through - they said they have to wait 10 days until SOS gets it but they should have it by the 19th and I can go in and reinstate my license. My court date is on the 20th. What further steps can I take from here to make it easier on myself? Am I facing any jail time? How much can I expect to pay in fees?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
  2. #2
    asiny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over - he just happened to run my plate and discover that my license was expired due to not paying a driver's responsibility fee.
    What was the fee for?
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    I moved recently and did not change my address - therefore I did not know about the fee or that my license was suspended.
    So your licence would not be valid either because it's in the old address?
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    This is my first offense for driving under a suspended license and I do not have any drunk driving convictions on my record. However, I do have a felony on my record, a drug charge, that I got of probation for in April 2011. Will they hold this against me in any way?
    What were the circumstances surrounding the drug charge? How did they catch you?
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    I know that it's my fault for not changing my address, so I have taken steps to pay the fee and change my address since - I am waiting for my payment to go through - they said they have to wait 10 days until SOS gets it but they should have it by the 19th and I can go in and reinstate my license. My court date is on the 20th. What further steps can I take from here to make it easier on myself?
    None. You were driving on a suspended licence. You failed to change your address. You have nothing to give to the court for them to be lenient about.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    Am I facing any jail time? How much can I expect to pay in fees?
    These really depend on what your probation says from April.
  3. #3
    tmiller18 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    A driver's responsibility fee is a fee you get charged in Michigan for having 7 points or more on your license. I was in my 2nd year of paying and all my points were about to be wiped off my license. I am sure my license was valid before this - the only thing I had not changed was the address - I still live in the same state. I wasn't driving or doing anything related when I got the drug charge. I got off with 6 days in jail and 2 years probation but I got off early on probation due to good behavior.
  4. #4
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Galaxy at Large
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    I was in my 2nd year of paying...
    Then how could you say you didn't know about it? You should have also been told that failure to pay would result in a license suspension. So regardless of your address change you should have know that too.
  5. #5
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Galaxy at Large
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over...

    Uh, you mean besides driving with a suspended license??
  6. #6
    tmiller18 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    My god, why are you people so rude? I asked specific questions, I didn't ask to get taunted and treated like an idiot. You think you're so high and mighty as if you've never gotten in trouble before. Well first of all, you shouldn't judge a person until you walk a mile in their shoes. You don't know what I have been through, or any of these people for that matter. And secondly, you can judge a person very well on how he treats someone who can do nothing for him, and judging by the likes of you, you seem to get your grins by ****ting on people who ask you for advice. You think that you can just talk to people any way you want and expect it not to come back to you? You act like you can prevent anything bad from happening to you, but trust me, you can't. I hope that the universe is just, and that maybe you'll go through some hard times just as I have. Maybe after that you can finally start treating other people with a little respect, irregardless of who you might think they are, because in reality, you know nothing.
  7. #7
    tmiller18 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    then how could you say you didn't know about it? You should have also been told that failure to pay would result in a license suspension. So regardless of your address change you should have know that too.

    the only reason i knew that i had to even pay it again was because the cop told me. I am just giving you the facts, sir.
  8. #8
    tmiller18 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by HighwayMan View Post
    Uh, you mean besides driving with a suspended license??
    Note that it my first post I said, "I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over BESIDES driving with a suspended license." If you're just here to be an ass to people, maybe you should find somewhere else to go to get your kicks.
  9. #9
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    53,943
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    Note that it my first post I said, "I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over BESIDES driving with a suspended license."
    Here is your original post. Please point out where you made the statement that you placed in quotes above:

    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

    I was not breaking any laws when the cop pulled me over - he just happened to run my plate and discover that my license was expired due to not paying a driver's responsibility fee. I moved recently and did not change my address - therefore I did not know about the fee or that my license was suspended. This is my first offense for driving under a suspended license and I do not have any drunk driving convictions on my record. However, I do have a felony on my record, a drug charge, that I got of probation for in April 2011. Will they hold this against me in any way?

    I know that it's my fault for not changing my address, so I have taken steps to pay the fee and change my address since - I am waiting for my payment to go through - they said they have to wait 10 days until SOS gets it but they should have it by the 19th and I can go in and reinstate my license. My court date is on the 20th. What further steps can I take from here to make it easier on myself? Am I facing any jail time? How much can I expect to pay in fees?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
  10. #10
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Galaxy at Large
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    What further steps can I take from here to make it easier on myself?

    Hire an attorney.


    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller18 View Post
    Am I facing any jail time? How much can I expect to pay in fees?
    For first offense, not more than 93 days in jail, not more than $500 fine or both.

Similar Threads

  1. Driving w/ Suspended License, first offense advice
    By KennyG22 in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 02:27 AM
  2. PENNSYLVANIA+SUSPENDED LICENSE - didnt know it was suspended - 2nd OFFENSE?
    By karisugar in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM
  3. Driving while license suspended 1st offense
    By kwalt in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 05:20 PM
  4. 2nd offense driving suspended
    By gmoney21 in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
  5. Florida State 2nd driving on suspended license offense
    By adidassambas in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2001, 11:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.