• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Window Tinting Ticket in Michigan - Anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mfronczak

Over the last year, I have received 2 tickets for having illegal window tinting on my driver and passenger side windows. My back door and back window are extremely dark, but my side windows are the lightest shade they make. However, due to the other dark windows, and the fact that my car is black, makes it look like my side windows are much darker than they are.

In Michigan, the law says that no tinting is allowed, except for a 4" strip at the top of each side window. My question is, is there anyway around this? Tinting keeps my car cooler in the hot summer but more importantly, greatly reduces glare and bright lights. I have extremely sensitive eyes, and with all the new halogen headlights now, I am frequently blinded when a truck or SUV is driving behind me (their lights reflect off of my mirrors).

For the record, I am a 27-year old professional with a perfect driving record. It frustrates me greatly when I see numerous other vehicles pass me with darker windows than mine while I'm sitting by the side of the road, getting a ticket.

Also, would it make a difference if I said that the ticket was not aftermarket? The last cop asked me if I had bought the car like that or if I had it done, and I told him the truth. Do (can) dealers supply cars with legal window tinting? Thanks for any information.

Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">