• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

witness reported school bus passing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momto3glg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

While driving on a 2 lane road in a rural area a school bus was approaching me in the other lane. The yellow flashing lights came on, but I was way too close to the bus to safely stop. I instinctively slowed down and looked up at the driver who motioned me to go on. Just as I was approaching the back half of the bus I saw the stop sign extend and immediately following that I heard the horn blare. Totally taken by surprise I came to a stop with the back door of my vehicle alongside the back bumper of the bus. I stayed there until the bus moved away. I am still confused by the actions of the bus driver. When I related my experience to a friend who lives in that school district she told me that she has heard of other people getting tickets for passing stopped school buses in the same area. The said tickets were issued based on the report of a witness and received through the mail. I feel very naive, but is this possible? Are tickets issued based solely on the report of a witness? I have been driving for 32 years and have an excellent driving record, never once being stopped for a traffic violation. I did nothing wrong in this instance. In fact, I work for a neighboring school district and I am very aware of the laws and the importance for student safety. I know this sounds paranoid, but could people be getting set up? What can I do to fight it if I do get a ticket? I am very nervous.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Tickets in New York must be personally served. They do not get mailed.

While a traffic ticket can be issued based on "information and belief" I've never heard of one being issued based upon a complaint from a third party.

The stop sign on the side of a school bus is not part of the required equipment that school buses must have in New York State, i.e. those signs do not make the vehicle a school bus. I can't see any court holding you responsible for not stopping in this case if your description of events was accurate.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much about this.

momto3glg

New York state DMV form to report...

HighwayMan, thanks for the positive light on this, but in NY state there is a form you can download from the DMV web site, then record the information relating to a person passing a school bus with it's reds on (such as plate number and location), then you mail it to the address provided. This can be done by anyone who witnesses such an incident. I did not know tickets must be hand delivered so unless I get a visit from an officer I won't worry. Now I'm wondering what kind of a time frame I'm looking at for a report to be acted on if it were indeed filed. I have actually considered calling the district's bus garage supervisor and explaining the incident since it was so bizarre and the bus driver made it so confusing. Then again, I don't want to draw unwanted attention to myself.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I never saw such a form. What is the form number?

Again, I think you are worried about nothing. And I wouldn't be calling the bus company - there's no reason for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">