• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worth going to court for following too closely?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cranger

What is the name of your state? Virginia (Fairfax)

Was driving on the Dulles Toll Road yesterday, traffic was flowing about 55-60mph and I was following an Explorer (w/ tinted windows) by 7-8 car lengths. The Explorer suddenly nosed down with screeching brakes, then hit the car in front of him going probably ~45mph. I hit my brakes hard, and couldn't move to another lane because of other cars whizzing by. I ended up hitting the Explorer at ~3mph. No damage to the Explorer's rear bumper (front was totalled from his accident and pushed into two other cars ahead, but guy was ok), and only minor cosmetic damage to my front bumper. Wouldn't be any damage except that I hit his trailer hitch, which of course has no give.

The trooper said my accident was non-reportable because of the minor damage, but still cited me for "Following too Closely (Accident)". Since the car I struck went from 60 to 0 in almost no time and there was very little damage (none to other car), do you think the court would have any leniency? Or will I be wasting everyone's time? Thanks for your responses...

Chris

cranger

Just to follow-up, for anyone who finds this in a search...

The witness (guy I hit) showed up and was very honest about having not been paying attention, and coming to a sudden stop over a very short distance (having totalled his car and two others). I also "cross-examined" the witness asking if he had observed me in his mirror prior to the accident, and if so, was I too close? He said he hadn't seen me. The judge waived the $30 fine (whoopee!), but found me guilty and didn't waive court fees ($57).

Chris

adatx

I don't know if this applies in your state, but I had heard in Texas that any accident now requires a citation to be written. Anyone know if this is true?

cranger

Don't know if that's true in VA. If it is, then my opinion would be to cite the guy in front of me with negligent driving (don't know actual statute... reckless?). He was cited for exact same thing as me in his accident. He waived trial and mailed in the fine. Frustrating that same penalty applies to accidents of such differing magnitude. I'll stop whining one of these days! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">