• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wreckless driving in ct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilovepink414

What is the name of your state? CT

i was driving in a 35 and the cop clocked me at 64. i got a misdemeanor summons to go to court in 2 weeks. i'v been driving for 5 years and my record is completely clean. i dont even know what i'm supposed to do to get ready for this court date. i cannot afford costly tickets or lawyer fees, nor can i afford to lose my license because i have no other way to get to work or school. help!What is the name of your state?

lakers6902

i believe u are looking at jail time, at least here in california you would be looking at jail time of up to 6 months if im correct, and a fatty fine.
misdeamors are pretty serious and include jail time, but you have a right to a jury im pretty pretty sure. dont quote me im no laywer, just a guy who likes to read about the law.

Betty

Why didn't you think of the problems a speeding ticket could cause you before you decided to speed 29 mph over the speed limit? Since your speeding was 29 mph over limit & you got a misdemeanor, you could very well be facing jail time and/or a "large" fine.

sukharev

Well done, folks. 2 perfectly useless answers, and so fitting...

Now, to the real answer. Misdemeanor is a standard charge, and you would not go to jail for it. You are likely candidate for heafty fines, and possibly loss of license (look up the standard for reckless in CT by the article code on citation). You will also have heavy insurance premium hike. That said, not all is lost, as you will get a chance to negotiate with DA once you get to court. Don't forget to bring your spotless driver's record with you. The likely outcome is lower charge, possibly below reckless (simple speeding). Take the deal. You would plead guilty to the lower charge, see the judge for a minute and pay on your way out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">