• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wreckless Driving & Hit and Run....Hit grass...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rawrmonster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I was driving down a curvy residential road, faster then i should have but i do not know what speed, and lost control of my vehicle. It went into someones yard and i did not hit any objects. People came running out at me screaming and a car turned around and i got scared and drove away. I contacted the police officer that came to my house later that day because i was not at my home when he came. He got my statement the next day. So i did attempt to make contact with the law the same day. I have a mandatory court date and was cited for wreckless driving and a hit and run. I guess hitting someones grass and driving away his a hit and run...This was in Overland Park in Johnson County.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I was driving down a curvy residential road, faster then i should have but i do not know what speed, and lost control of my vehicle. It went into someones yard and i did not hit any objects. People came running out at me screaming and a car turned around and i got scared and drove away. I contacted the police officer that came to my house later that day because i was not at my home when he came. He got my statement the next day. So i did attempt to make contact with the law the same day. I have a mandatory court date and was cited for wreckless driving and a hit and run. I guess hitting someones grass and driving away his a hit and run...This was in Overland Park in Johnson County.
Congratulations...did you have a question?

rawrmonster

Sorry just look for some advice. Should i get a lawyer or no? The officer said it could either go really quickly or take a little bit more time. I guess im just looking to see what exactly im in for or what i should do. Is a lawyer really necessary? It was just grass, not like a killed a child.

FlyingRon

I guess he was charged with Wreckless because he didn't wreck.

But driving so fast you ended up in someone's yard sounds pretty reckless.

8-1603. Accident involving damage to vehicle or property; duties of drivers; penalties for violations. The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of such accident, or as close thereto as possible, but shall forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of such accident until he or she has fulfilled the requirements of K.S.A. 8-1604. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary. Any person failing to stop or comply with said requirements under such circumstances shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished as provided in K.S.A. 8-2116.

Rutting up someone's yard by your off-roading is damage to "other property".

If you fear for your safety you call the police. You don't go home and lay low.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">