• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wreckless in Prince William county VA 88 in a 65 46.2-862

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Simplelude

Reckless in Prince William county VA 88 in a 65 46.2-862

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recieved a Ticket Sunday night on I-81 in Prince William County VA. The State trooper said I was going 88 in a 65. He took my liscense and registration.He asked me the reason why I was driving over the limit. I told him " i just bought the car a week ago and wasnt used to the car and I wasn't paying attention to the speed I thought I was going with the flow of traffic".He said "You were not going with the flow of traffic". There was not alot of cars on the road since it was around 1030 pm. He said "you mean to tell me you werent watching your speed". Then he was like "what where you doing when you saw me". I said "after I passed you I looked down and it looked like I was doing 80".Before he went back to his car he asked me my age which kinda threw me off like you have my license so why did you ask that. He wrote down the wrong race(I dont look half japanes, the other half is white) and my weight is written down wrong. He took my liscense and registration . Anyways I know that does not mean anything or will help my case any.

The back round on my record is this. The last speeding ticket I recieved was back in November of 2000 when I was 18 and had my license for 3 months and That was reduced from 15 over the limit from a paced speed to 5 over the limit. Then the only other ticket I have was February of 2004 for failure to obey a highway sign in which I made a left on a no left turn in fairfax city, it was 2am in the morning. I never went to court for the failure to obey the sign I just paid the fine. I have zero points on my record.

The Violation is an 46.2-862 which is exceding the speed limit. I was 23 over the limit.

I Have a consultation with an attorny tomarrow afternoon and I am going to see what he will say about it. He said over the phone its nothing to panic we will talk abou it.

I already know about going to driving school. But I want to know if anyone has had experience in the Prince William county courts with wreckless driving tickets. What I should do. What if I chance it without an attorney and just go to driving school before I go to court. and in my case is it worth the money for an attorney. Any adivce would help me out because I have never experienced this. I have not ever seen a court room except for my first speeding ticket 5 yrs ago in fairfax county.

Thanks

Last edited:

A

absconder

23 over and its considered wreckless driving WOW VA must be tough. Buddy any way you can your going to want to get that wreckless reduced to whatever cus the insurance man wont be a happy camper come rate raising time. Plus that wreckless can come back to haunt you later if your not straight as an arrow.

S

seniorjudge

Being wreckless is a good thing.

Being reckless is a bad thing.

Olds4ever

Wreckless in PWC

Simpledude,
I am a bit confused WRT your post. I-81 does not traverse through Prince William County. However, I-66 does between mile marker 38 and mile marker 50.

To answer your question, yes, you can "talk down" a reckless driving charge, but you have to have a better excuse than the one you provided to the arresting[?] officer. Sometimes the officer is unable to be at the court at the time you are present. In this case, most people I have spoken to usually get the ticket reduced to speeding (9 miles over), which is the lowest speed you can be fined for (or so I was told by the Judge :) ). One thing you DON'T want to do is miss your court date! My significant other missed a court date on a reckless driving charge in PWC and our auto insurance practically doubled and hasn't dropped since, and that was back in 1998! Hiring a lawyer is going to cost you more than the ticket itself, but is well worth it if he can get the charge dropped (which most likely he/she can).

Good luck!

S

seniorjudge

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">