• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong California Drivers License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lasfw

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I received a speeding ticket in LA. The officer wrote down my CDL incorrectly. I checked the web site under my cdl didn't see anything. I have a neighbor who's a cop I asked his advice, he checked on the computer didn't see anything on my driving record about the ticket either. I still never got a notice. I finally called the court was told the fine now went from $180 to $700, because I was 2 days past the deadline (which I never got notice for). I recently checked tickets for my CDL and the ticket still isn't on my record. my questions are....

1) Can I win if I fight this.
2) Will the ticket eventually attach itself to me & my driving record?
(If not... I could just not pay it?)
3) might it be better to pay and let it stay on the wrong CDL?

any advice is much appreciated.

I have a court date set for tuesday March 8.

Thanks in advance for your help

CdwJava

So ... did you fail to show up for the original court date? The "courtesy notice" is just that - a courtesy. The citation you received had a court date on it, and you were released on the condition that you would appear at the stated date and time. Your not receiving a notice has nothing to do with your FTA.

1) Can I win if I fight this.
Sure. You can fight anything. Whether you win or not will really depend on whether you can beat the charge - not the technical matter of a mis-written license number.

2) Will the ticket eventually attach itself to me & my driving record?
(If not... I could just not pay it?)
Probably. There's no way to know if they'll get it right and attach it properly. But, you might end up with a warrant for your arrest and a suspended license if you fail to appear again.

3) might it be better to pay and let it stay on the wrong CDL?
Maybe. That's hard to say. Chances are they would correct it to match with the right CDL. But, if someone in Records is not paying attention, they may just run with someone else's DL. I hope not. It would really suck to be that person.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">