• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Citation Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Spika

Southeastern Wisconsin resident, 18 years old
I recently got pulled over after I was paced going 50 in a 35 after midnight. This is my first offense and I was a bit shocked to get a $75 ticket and 4 points. Anyway, after I got home I studied the ticket to soak it all in. I noticed that something the officer had written was incorrect. First off, the location he wrote down does not exist (he wrote North of X street, when it was actually South; the street ends at the intersection so it does not continue to the north). Second, the stated location would be in another city, so it is outside of his jurisdiction. Does any of this matter? Thanks.

BS

PS, is pacing a valid method of catching speeders? Thanks again.

racer72

Incorrect location of the infraction can be used as a cause for dismissal. You will need to obtain a copy of the officers report and hope it has the same incorrect information. If the report is correct, you will have no case. The judge can amend your citation to match the officers report.

Pacing is one of the most common methods for catching speeders. That is why most police cars have calibrated speedometers.

S

Spika

Are there any records for the calibration or some sort of print-out to verify the violation? I know they have to show you the radar gun, but is this the same for pacing? Thanks

S

Spika

Just thought I'd give you all an update in case you cared. After two or three requests to get a copy of the officer's notes I was finally succesful. The only thing the officer talks about is his procedure for pacing us. He makes no mention of location and therefore did not contradict the wrong information on the ticket! So, I'm hopeful that this will all work out. Thanks for your help Racer. God Bless...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">