• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Court??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lta893

I got stopped for doing 78 in a 55 by a va state trooper out in Fauquier county va. He didnt count it as reckless driving and i was actullay going faster.

However im 17 and a first time offender. I was sent to general district court and through some research i found out that in va the juvinale court handles traffic cases for minors.

Im wondering if i got sent to the wrong court and if this could help me in some way. I think i face 6 points for going 20+ over and any help would be appreciated.

seniorjudge

lta893 said:
I got stopped for doing 78 in a 55 by a va state trooper out in Fauquier county va. He didnt count it as reckless driving and i was actullay going faster.

However im 17 and a first time offender. I was sent to general district court and through some research i found out that in va the juvinale court handles traffic cases for minors.

Im wondering if i got sent to the wrong court and if this could help me in some way. I think i face 6 points for going 20+ over and any help would be appreciated.
Why do you think you are considered a juvenile under Virginia's traffic code?

lta893

Because im under 18

If you are implaying that im not a minor under the penal code then can you tell me because i can interpat your post either way

seniorjudge

lta893 said:
Because im under 18

If you are implaying that im not a minor under the penal code then can you tell me because i can interpat your post either way
Ask when you get to court if you shouldn't be going through juvie.

lta893

Case Number: File Date: 01/09/06
Complainant: TRP CW ROOP
Locality: COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Defendant: Defense Attorney:
City/State Address:
Sex: Male Race: White Caucasian (Non-Hispanic) DOB:
Charge: R/D BY SPEED 78/55 Code Section: C.46.2-862
Case Type: Misdemeanor Class:
Amended Charge: Amended Code Section: Amended Case Type:
Offense Date: 01/08/06 Arrest Date: 00000

thats all the info i have on it

Last edited:

homillerlaw

Wrong Court?

First off, you have been charged with reckless driving. Virginia Code section 46.2-862 is a charge of reckless driving because, in your case, you were exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour. This is a class I misdemeanor which is a criminal offense.

When you say you were sent to general district court, do you mean that is what it says on your yellow summons? If you go to court and raise the issue, the judge may decide to transfer the case to the juvenile and domestic relations court. I highly doubt that it would result in a dismissal of your case. Furthermore, the Commonwealth could choose to nolle pros the charge (dismiss) and refile it in J&DR court.

homillerlaw

Wrong Court?

First off, you have been charged with reckless driving. Virginia Code section 46.2-862 is a charge of reckless driving because, in your case, you were exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour. This is a class I misdemeanor which is a criminal offense.

When you say you were sent to general district court, do you mean that is what it says on your yellow summons? If you go to court and raise the issue, the judge may decide to transfer the case to the juvenile and domestic relations court. I highly doubt that it would result in a dismissal of your case. Furthermore, the Commonwealth could choose to nolle pros the charge (dismiss) and refile it in J&DR court.

Happy Trails

lta893, please go back and edit your post to remove personal information.

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit - A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit where the applicable speed limit is thirty miles per hour or less, (ii) at a speed of sixty miles per hour or more where the applicable maximum speed limit is thirty-five miles per hour, (iii) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limits where the applicable maximum speed limit is forty miles per hour or more, or (iv) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit).

EDIT: I see Homillerlaw has answered your question. My initial thought was that it was reckless driving because of the speed and the points that were going against you.

Adult vs. Juvy...

In such a situation as this, an adult would get points and a fine... you might want to consider what a juvenile would get. In most states, you don't have full driving privilges until you're 18. you might want to try to find out which is lesser of two evils...

lta893

My privacy

Will the fact that im listed in the pending cases have anything to do with the trial. Since im a juvinile is it legal for them to release my information to the public. I dont see a system for finding cases at the the juvie court site and i wonder if this has anybearing on the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">