• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Date of Citation on Ticket Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toppinsj2

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Im from Ohio and was in Kentucky and was ticketed doing 70 in a 55 mph zone, after reading over my ticket under violation date it is listed as the day before the violation actually occured. Is this grounds for dismisal since i was not even in Ky on the day it says i was cited, also what would prove this in court. Any help would be apreciated. Also on the ticket the phone number to call to recieve the fine ammount was listed and was also incorrect, i was directed to another office from there with that office telling me i was given the wrong number

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

toppinsj2 said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Im from Ohio and was in Kentucky and was ticketed doing 70 in a 55 mph zone, after reading over my ticket under violation date it is listed as the day before the violation actually occured. Is this grounds for dismisal since i was not even in Ky on the day it says i was cited, also what would prove this in court. Any help would be apreciated. Also on the ticket the phone number to call to recieve the fine ammount was listed and was also incorrect, i was directed to another office from there with that office telling me i was given the wrong number
Q: Is this grounds for dismisal

A: No, the date of the speeding offense is not an element of the offense.

You Are Guilty

toppinsj2 said:
however wouldnt i be not guilty for the date of that offense since it wasnt commited on that date
For about the billionth time, moving violations, i.e. the "tickets", are simply a notice to appear in court and the reason(s) why. They are NOT the evidence that will be presented in court against you - that comes from the officer's testimony.

Inasmuch as the officer may rely on the faulty ticket to testify, you may be able to "beat" the ticket (but, if you're not a lawyer, don't count on effectively cross-examining the officer without screwing it up and leaving the door open for him to correct his testimony once he realizes his mistake). And even if you have a real zinger of a cross exam, a wrong date is hardly enough evidence of innocence to get you found not guilty.

S

seniorjudge

Q: so what if the officer testifys the violation occured on the wrong date

A: That's totally irrelevant.

Again:

Q: Is this grounds for dismisal

A: No, the date of the speeding offense is not an element of the offense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">