• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong date on speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adepto

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hi, A cop gave me a speeding ticket on the highway (80/70). This happened on friday may 5th, but he dated it as may 4th. I was on no highway on may 4th and plenty of people can be witness to that. My question is, does this make the ticket void since it accuses me of doing something the wrong day?

Thanks for any info.

HappyHusband

adepto said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hi, A cop gave me a speeding ticket on the highway (80/70). This happened on friday may 5th, but he dated it as may 4th. I was on no highway on may 4th and plenty of people can be witness to that. My question is, does this make the ticket void since it accuses me of doing something the wrong day?

Thanks for any info.
does this make the ticket void since it accuses me of doing something the wrong day?

No.

adepto

Dang...

Well this is my first ticket in about 7 years of driving. I think they clocked me when I was passing a truck, and I usually speed up a bit when passing so I don't stay beside the other vehicle too long, slowing down afterwards.

I'm assuming that "deny responsibility" if out of the question. Would going for "admit responsibility with explanation" be worth the time or should I simply go with "admit responsibility".

Thanks for any help.

sukharev

adepto said:
Dang...

Well this is my first ticket in about 7 years of driving. I think they clocked me when I was passing a truck, and I usually speed up a bit when passing so I don't stay beside the other vehicle too long, slowing down afterwards.

I'm assuming that "deny responsibility" if out of the question. Would going for "admit responsibility with explanation" be worth the time or should I simply go with "admit responsibility".

Thanks for any help.
Well, you have a good chance of talking to DA and having it reduced to a non-moving violation. Bring your clean driver's record to court with you. If that does not work, I would recommend pleading not guilty and fighting it, because at 10 mph over is indeed questionable. If you admit responsibility, you get it on your record as you know. Be prepared to do so, by requesting discovery of the necessary documentation (radar calibration, etc.). Error in date can be mentioned, but do keep in mind that it's not at all a detremental error. It may be, but unlikely. The first question the judge would ask is: on may 5th, did you get stopped and did you receive this ticket?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">