• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong info on citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danpeake

What is the name of your state?Maryland

I was pulled over the other day for speeding. After the officer handed me the ticket I noticed he wrote down that my car was registered in Maryland, when it's registered in Connecticut. Any way a judge would throw this out? Should I plead innocent and if he says that's not valid, change the plead to guilty with an explanation? Thanks for the help!

CdwJava

Usually, that kind of thing won't be a fatal error on the part of the officer. It might only result in a dismissal if the judge is a stickler for detail - and this is rare. Because to argue this you also have to admit that you got the citation, so there is no question of identity - only of the vehicle's registration.

If that's all you have for a defense, then it probably won't fly.

You can always plead 'not guilty' then bring the matter up to the court and see where it goes. But, there may be options available before trial that are not available if you contest the cite. Frequently in my state traffic school is not available once you choose to fight the citation in court. But, this may not be the case everywhere.

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">