• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong information including Drivers license, name and address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmoore1952

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

State of Texas/DPS ticket
I was recently cited for following too closely on the tollway (BS by the way) and for failing to change my address once I got out of college to my new home in Dallas.
I signed the ticket and the officer put down the correct vehicle information. The officer apparently entered the wrong drivers license number and so the ticket has the wrong drivers license number, the wrong name (not mine but the person to whom the wrong DL# number belonged to) and the wrong address. What is the law regarding whether this is cause for dismissal? Is this fundamental error that would automatically result in dismissal or is this a discretionary issue for the judge to decide. Best way to pursue this? What if I do nothing? Will they then go after the individual whose name is on the ticket or will they look to see who the car was registered to?

FlyingRon

It's certainly not grounds for dismissal.

If and how long it takes them to figure out the true identity of the violator is up in the air, but with a valid license plate number I suspect it's reasonably likely. Note that signing you promised to pay and show up, so if it takes them months to come after you for real, you won't escape any penalties for not paying/appearing on time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">