• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong lane on a 2-way street (thought it was a 1-way)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicekato42

What is the name of your state? California

I recently received a ticket in san francisco california for going the wrong way in a lane on a 2-way street.

Here's what happened:

1. I was behind a police officer in a part of san francisco I did not know very well.
2. We were on a 1 way street
3. we came to a red light
4. the police officer turned left on the red into one of the right lanes
5. I got to the light, the light turned green, I turned into the far left lane (I needed to make a left on the next street...was trying to turn around basically)
6. The police officer pulled me over.

So basically, the only reason that I turned into the far left lane of that street was that the officer turned on the red light (without turning on his lights or anything). Since he turned on a red, I assumed the street we were turning on was a 1-way street as well.

My girlfriend was also in the car with me...so she can be a witness to the fact he took the left turn during the red.

Should I try to fight this one in court? I have no idea how much the ticket will be for...but I imagine it will be quite expensive...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

AlanShore

What is your defense?
The officer turned left on a red light.
You assumed it was a one way street with two lanes.

nicekato42

Yup, that is basically my defense...

Is it completely ridiculous? It is almost a childish "well so and so did it too..." response...

Should I even bother going to court? Is a police office required to use some sort of signal when making an illegal turn?

nicekato42

Okay - well, although this wasn't the response I was hoping for...thank you all for your help and ridiculously prompt responses. Definitely a great and active community here!

nicekato42

Another possibility...

Various friends and family have recommended that I just go to court to dispute it myself, even without an airtight case. They said the chances are that the police officer will not even show up. Is this true? I personally do not think it is the best of ideas...what do you guys recommend?

The Occultist

Another possibility...

Various friends and family have recommended that I just go to court to dispute it myself, even without an airtight case. They said the chances are that the police officer will not even show up. Is this true? I personally do not think it is the best of ideas...what do you guys recommend?
It is true that if the officer doesn't show up that your case should be dismissed. However, officer's get OVERTIME PAY to show up to these trials, so don't count on them not showing up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">