• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong license plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rewinbw

What is the name of your state?Indiana

I have a question I once new a guy, that switched a friends license plate, with his friends moms car. What would happen, if the guy got pulled over, my the police? Is there any law against, driving with the wrong license plates, even if you own the other car? So this is so confusing.

justalayman

I know a person that had something similar happen. They, themselves inadvertantly put the wrong plates on his cars. Although technically illegal, the judge did accept the explanation of his mistake and tossed the ticket.

But after reading Sukharov's post following mine, the guy did own and have current registration on both cars involved.

Last edited:

sukharev

There is nothing confusing about it. Ownership of the car is completely different from registering it with proper plates.

What's confusing is when someone actually does something like that, and thinks it's worth doing. Plates cost you typically under $50, and getting them is well worth the price. You can transfer the plates for even less money. Unless, of course, your intention IS to avoid the law somehow, say, have an unregistered car and use someone's plates. Would not help you when you get stopped by a trooper, in fact would hurt you. If you have a fast car, sure, try to get away and see what happens :D

sukharev

justalayman said:
I know a person that had something similar happen. They, themselves inadvertantly put the wrong plates on his cars. Although technically illegal, the judge did accept the explanation of his mistake and tossed the ticket.
Inadvertantly? Gimme a break :eek:

Happy Trails

rewinbw said:
What is the name of your state?Indiana

I have a question I once new a guy, that switched a friends license plate, with his friends moms car. What would happen, if the guy got pulled over, my the police? Is there any law against, driving with the wrong license plates, even if you own the other car? So this is so confusing.
License plates are registered to a specific vehicle. Switching them to a vehicle that the plates are not registered to (even if you own them both) is illegal.

You would have to follow Indiana law if you were to tranfer them legally.

IC 9-18-6-5
Transfer of plates
Sec. 5. (a) Upon the disposition by sale or other means of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home currently registered in Indiana, the license plate from the disposed motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home may be:
(1) transferred by the person who is the current registrant to any other vehicle of the same type acquired by the person; and
(2) operated in Indiana for not more than thirty-one (31) days after the date the person acquires ownership of the vehicle.
(b) The person who is the registrant must have in the person's possession a:
(1) manufacturer's certificate of origin;
(2) duly assigned certificate of title; or
(3) notarized bill of sale;
indicating that the person is the owner of the vehicle to which the unexpired license plates are affixed.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.

IC 9-18-6-6
Violations
Sec. 6. A person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">