• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stupidegg419

Hi, I recently got two moving violations at a time in NY state, they are about left turn in red arrow, and left turn in the middle lane where I suppose to go straight. However, on both of my tickets, the cop wrote one letter of my name wrong: instead of X, he wrote Y. Do you think I could fight for that?

HomeGuru

Hi, I recently got two moving violations at a time in NY state, they are about left turn in red arrow, and left turn in the middle lane where I suppose to go straight. However, on both of my tickets, the cop wrote one letter of my name wrong: instead of X, he wrote Y. Do you think I could fight for that?
**A: yes, go to court and tell the judge the corract spelling of your name. T a l k v e r y s l o w l y and spell each letter so the court reporter gets it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, I bet that the "Y" you refer to actually IS an X. A lot of people don't write as clearly as one would hope. Just ask your doctor to write you a legible note some time ;)

Hey There

1-8-08

stupidegg419,

Citing the wrong statute, misidentifying car or defendant, listing the wrong site of the violation, not signing the citation, wrong date
put in by citing officer are reasons to dismiss a traffic ticket. Small errors don't qualify as a "material defect" affecting the validity of the citation itself.
(Information is from Speeding Ticket FAQ website which describes when a traffic ticket should be considered invalid as well as how the court system works if a driver chooses to fight his traffic citation).
What were the vehicle code numbers listed on your tickets?

Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">