• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Speed Limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yvette23

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello everyone, I was referred to this site by another message board so I am new to this! :)

My situation is that I received a speeding ticket yesterday for driving 87 mph in a 55 mph zone!! :( I admit that I was over the speed limit, but I was not doing 87 mph!! The officer said if I wanted to contest it, that the court date is on the ticket for Sept 16.

During my lunch break the same day, I drove back to the exact location where he "clocked" me; the location on the ticket stated "NB on GA 400 @ 1096 FT." Well, the speed limit was not 55, but 65 mph!!!

I don't know much about the law, but I have two defenses:

1. I was not doing 87 mph.....maybe 75-80, but not 87!
2. The speed limit was 65 mph, not 55 mph!

My question is, would I be wasting my time if I contest this ticket??? I'm already aware that it is his word against mine that I was not driving 87 mph. Please help! Thanks! :)

JETX

Defenses... and responses:

1) "I was not doing 87 mph.....maybe 75-80, but not 87!"
That will simply be your word against the officers. From the fact that the ticket reads 87 MPH (pretty specific), I would presume that the speed was clocked by radar. That would further bolster the officers statement. In any case, you do ADMIT to speeding.

2) "The speed limit was 65 mph, not 55 mph!"
Depending on the specifics, this could be a factual claim. I would suggest you DOCUMENT the location of the ticket with the sign. Take pictures, take video, get maps, talk with the traffic department about sign location, etc. Get your facts together and present them to the court.

Y

yvette23

That was very helpful.........I'm going to buy some camera film today! Thanks!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">