• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Speed Listed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cncivicsi

What is the name of your state?Texas

I just got a ticket tonight for allegedly "speeding."

But the ticket says specifically "Speeding : 5 MPH in a 35 MPH Zone" and the officer never actually said how fast I was going. So how am I speeding if I'm only travelling at 5 MPH???

Is this something I can fight and will an error like this be grounds for the ticket being dropped and dismissed??

Curt581

cncivicsi said:
What is the name of your state?Texas

I just got a ticket tonight for allegedly "speeding."

But the ticket says specifically "Speeding : 5 MPH in a 35 MPH Zone" and the officer never actually said how fast I was going. So how am I speeding if I'm only travelling at 5 MPH???

Is this something I can fight and will an error like this be grounds for the ticket being dropped and dismissed??
It's going to depend on the local jurisdiction, so I can't be absolutely sure, but that is one of the few errors which could invalidate a citation. I've seen 'em get tossed for that very reason, but for very few others.

Even if it does get dismissed, there's nothing that says an officer couldn't reissue a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">