• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong time on ticket makes it a speeding offence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhaesellers

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I received a traffic violation on 9/6/07 in a school zone. I was driving to the airport. The police officer was hard to understand and I had the kids in the car, so I did not look at the clock. The speed limit after 2PM is 25mph. My ticket lists the time as 2:06PM. We arrived at the airport at 2:53PM - per parking information. The times don't add up though. It takes me at least 50 minutes to the airport without traffic, and we did have a lot of traffic, so, it should have taken me at least 55 minutes. We left the house at 1:50PM and it takes me 5 minutes to get where I got the ticket. But it is my word against the officers. What shall I do?:(What is the name of your state?

racer72

The clocks in my house range anywhere from 10 minutes from the actual time. How do you plan to prove that your clocks and the timeclock at the airport are correct and the clock or watch used by the officer is wrong?

Hey There

3 reasons you may have been cited in error

1. the method the officer used to determine your speed may have been incorrectly used.
Georgia officers can use pacing, aircraft, Vascar and radar.
ALL of these methods have flaws which are discussed in Beat Your Ticket Go to Court & Win by Attorney David W. Brown. Your local library may have a copy or could obtain a copy for you.
2. The time on your ticket may be off by 6 or 7 minutes if the officer used a watch or other time device that was fast.
3. From the time the officer saw you to the time he issued the ticket there is a time lapse. How much time lapsed ? 5 minutes? 6 minutes?
The violation the officer cited you for couldn't have occurred at the same time he was issuing you a ticket.

To find out which method the officer used to determine your speed you can request the officer's notes, video, and all other information the officer has by filing a Discovery Request or a Public Information request depending on the particular rules in your state.

There are several websites that give information on obtaining the officer's notes before going to court as well as the book I mentioned above. Two websites I came across regarding obtaining the officer's notes follows.

Go to Google: Type in __ get the officer's notes __ and click on Search. The first two websites (Obtain the Officer's Notes Before Going to Traffic Court -Findlaw )give information on Discovery.Go to both of them.

Google : Type in National Motorists Association. Click on the 3rd one down. #5 of this cite Gathering Information
explains about discovery and public records requests as well as info on fighting a traffic ticket from start
to finish.

Regards, Hey There-
-9-12-07

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">