• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful inpound?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAG1

My wifes son (different last name) did a dumb thing and decided to drive his vehicle before his 18th birthday with no license. July 4th would have been his birthday, so he was unable to apply for or get his license. Never the less, as luck would have it he got pulled over that night.

The cop impounded the vehicle, confiscated his title and handed him a ticket with no court date on it claiming that it would be a juvenile case, but they would contact him Monday (July 6th) with a court date. No one ever contacted him so we called the Police dept. which began our royal run around.

The police dept. claim that they sent the ticket to the Juvenile courts, who in turn state that they have no such ticket.

I contacted the state representative for the county and he was given the same run around as us as to where the vehicle even was. Finally he was able to determine the private impound lot location to see if the vehicle could be released to the parents (as impound is $25/day and counting!). The impound lot says there is an indefinite hold on the vehicle until the police release it.

The local prosecuting attorney said to contact the mayor of the town to see if he would convince the police to release the vehicle to the parents pending a court date which depends on finding the ticket. The mayor is not returning calls as this is not his full time job. (Perhaps he works the impound lot full-time!)

So here's the run down of offices/people contacted that can't help or offer only directions of help.

* Police dept. = done all they care to do.
* Juvi courts = no ticket for court date.
* Prosecuting attorney = no further assistance as I'm making a federal case of this issue...
* Impound lot = indefinite hold on vehicle ($25 / day charge)
* Mayor = nowhere to be found.
* Governor Stickland = passed the buck to contact city counsel or contact the attorney general
* Attorney general = gave contact of US attorney general who refused to help private citizens.
* Ohio ethics board = didn't care that mayor could not be contacted or the police force impounded.

Anyone got suggestions as to how to clear this up without costing an arm and a leg???

Last edited:

Antigone*

My wifes son (different last name) did a dumb thing and decided to drive his vehicle before his 18th birthday with no license. July 4th would have been his birthday, so he was unable to apply for or get his license. Never the less, as luck would have it he got pulled over that night.

The cop impounded the vehicle, confiscated his title and handed him a ticket with no court date on it claiming that it would be a juvenile case, but they would contact him Monday (July 6th) with a court date. No one ever contacted him so we called the Police dept. which began our royal run around.

The police dept. claim that they sent the ticket to the Juvenile courts, who in turn state that they have no such ticket.

I contacted the state representative for the county and he was given the same run around as us as to where the vehicle even was. Finally he was able to determine the private impound lot location to see if the vehicle could be released to the parents (as impound is $25/day and counting!). The impound lot says there is an indefinite hold on the vehicle until the police release it.

The local prosecuting attorney said to contact the mayor of the town to see if he would convince the police to release the vehicle to the parents pending a court date which depends on finding the ticket. The mayor is not returning calls as this is not his full time job. (Perhaps he works the impound lot full-time!)

So here's the run down of offices/people contacted that can't help or offer only directions of help.

* Police dept. = done all they care to do.
* Juvi courts = no ticket for court date.
* Prosecuting attorney = no further assistance as I'm making a federal case of this issue...
* Impound lot = indefinite hold on vehicle ($25 / day charge)
* Mayor = nowhere to be found.
* Governor Stickland = passed the buck to contact city counsel or contact the attorney general
* Attorney general = gave contact of US attorney general who refused to help private citizens.
* Ohio ethics board = didn't care that mayor could not be contacted or the police force impounded.

Anyone got suggestions as to how to clear this up without costing an arm and a leg???
It doesn't have to cost YOU an arm and a leg. Have sonny get a job and let this error in judgement cost HIM an arm and a leg.

Maestro64

I have to agree the kid decide to play so he has to pay...

You're obviously dealing with small town justice and I believe in some of these small Ohio towns the mayor is also the town judge so the buck stops with him.

However, under what law did the police impound the car, is there a particular law that allows them to do this.

Also, what did he do that is did not have a license and being 18, sounds like he had other problems in the past, since I know Ohio will not allow kids to get their license until they are 18 if they get caught doing other things.

MAG1

Feedback

He didn't do anything wrong outside of laziness in getting his license at 18. My own daughter did the same thing so I never gave it a second thought as to why he waited so long. And yes... he'll pay and already has a job. I'm just trying to determine what happened to the ticket and when is the court date.

Actually, as of this posting I received a call from the Mayor of Podunk claiming that he just now got the message to call me. Or, was it all the government offices calling about the situation and vehicle too? Anyhow, we'll wait until tomorrow when the mayor speaks to the chief of police as to where is the ticket/officer/vehicle/etc...

As for what law allowed them to impound the vehicle and take the title. That's beyond me, as I'm just trying to get answers for the boy. That's why I'm posting here.

patstew

He didn't do anything wrong outside of laziness in getting his license at 18. My own daughter did the same thing so I never gave it a second thought as to why he waited so long.
They're quite unusual -- most kids are champing at the bit to get their license at the minimum required age.

And yes... he'll pay and already has a job. I'm just trying to determine what happened to the ticket and when is the court date.
But that wasn't your question. The last line of your posting, and the only question asked in it, was "Anyone got suggestions as to how to clear this up without costing an arm and a leg???"

Apparently it's not going to cost YOU anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">