• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful stop?? Followed into driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jglover

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
Hello all. I have a question regarding an officers athority on private property. I left a friends house one night which was only a couple miles from my mothers house to which I was going. A county officer happened to be parked nearby watching a house that was getting complaints about loud music. As I approched my mothers house I noticed headlights coming up on me very quickly. There is a slight hill before the driveway then the road ends at a highway. Knowing I had done no wrong I pulled into the drive parked my truck and started to get out when the officer rolled past the drive, stopped, backed up, and pulled all the way down our fairly long driveway pulling right up on my rear bumper THEN turning on his blue lights. He proceeded to accuse me of doing a burnout when I left my friends which I had done no such thing. He walked to my truck, looked at the rear tire and pretty much called me a lier. He didn't believe this was even my mothers house and said I was avoiding him (until my mother came out wanting to know what was going on) He wanted to search my truck (which I refused as I had done nothing wrong)and in my opinion abusing his authority. He said he could take me to jail for destruction of county property (the road?) which I laughed at. He obviously mistaked me for another vehicle but you couldn't tell him that. Finally my question, can an officer pull onto private property THEN turn on his lights and act as if he's at a routine roadside stop? I felt very violated and called his bluff. Needless to say no jail, no ticket cause apperntly he knew he had nothing on me. Sorry for such a long post just wanted to state all facts. Thanks in advance.

I_Got_Banned

If he has reason to believe that you committed a violation on public property and he also thinks that you were trying to evade him by trespassing on that private property then I don't see a reason why he can't!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">