• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully given a speeding ticket??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brutehk87

I am in Texas and apparently received a speeding ticket last week. Here are the details : I was in the flow of traffic and the car in front of me started to slow down too much, so I changed the lane. All this time , I saw the cop car in my right rear-view mirror. And bang, he came on me with his lights on ! I told him what the case was but he just wanted to give a citation (tiny town police!) . The detection method he mentioned to me and printed on the ticket was LASER. As far as I know, for a LASER speed detection, the cruiser/officer needs to be stationary which was not the case. I think he just wanted to give a citation and mentioned Laser on there to make it seem intimidating. If some one can give me an advise as to have there been any changes to the Laser speed detection ? If not, then what's the possibility of the ticket getting dismissed since the cop used LASER while he was moving ( at 60MPH) and not stationary? All advise is much appreciated!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am in Texas and apparently received a speeding ticket last week. Here are the details : I was in the flow of traffic and the car in front of me started to slow down too much, so I changed the lane. All this time , I saw the cop car in my right rear-view mirror. And bang, he came on me with his lights on ! I told him what the case was but he just wanted to give a citation (tiny town police!) . The detection method he mentioned to me and printed on the ticket was LASER. As far as I know, for a LASER speed detection, the cruiser/officer needs to be stationary which was not the case. I think he just wanted to give a citation and mentioned Laser on there to make it seem intimidating. If some one can give me an advise as to have there been any changes to the Laser speed detection ? If not, then what's the possibility of the ticket getting dismissed since the cop used LASER while he was moving ( at 60MPH) and not stationary? All advise is much appreciated!
Were you speeding?

brutehk87

Speed limit was 65, I was below 65 until that car in front of me slowed down all of a sudden and I accelerated to change the lane which is where I went above 65 but I was still below 70. He said I was doing an 82 , which is totally impossible. Just bummed now!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Speed limit was 65, I was below 65 until that car in front of me slowed down all of a sudden and I accelerated to change the lane which is where I went above 65 but I was still below 70. He said I was doing an 82 , which is totally impossible. Just bummed now!
I've never heard of a legal & safe lane change that forced someone to accelerate above the speed limit.

brutehk87

I've never heard of a legal & safe lane change that forced someone to accelerate above the speed limit.
I am not sure how to answer this. If there's a pick-up closely following me, either I could risk getting rear ended by hitting the brakes or just change the lane by hitting gas. Just a call of judgment on safety grounds.

CSO286

Can your car go 82 mph?

brutehk87

Can your car go 82 mph?
The one I was ticketed in was a loaner 2.0T A6 while my car was in service. It can clock 120, but going 65 and hitting 82 takes quite a lot of seconds for a heavy car. And the cop just came at me as soon as I got into the left lane, which was almost right when I started accelerating.

CSO286

The one I was ticketed in was a loaner 2.0T A6 while my car was in service. It can clock 120, but going 65 and hitting 82 takes quite a lot of seconds for a heavy car. And the cop just came at me as soon as I got into the left lane, which was almost right when I started accelerating.
Then it's not impossible for you to have been going 82.

brutehk87

Then it's not impossible for you to have been going 82.
I totally know what you mean, but all I asked is how could the cop use LASER on the move (driving at >60mph) for a legit reading? For one, I know I didn't do 82 and for 2nd, Laser's give all hyped up readings when used in motion.

homebuyer1983

Whenever I've gotten tickets (and I've gotten a LOT) I've just went to the county attorney and had them make it go away or I've gotten a lawyer. I'm not sure where it goes when they make it go away, but as long as I don't get more than 1 every 2 years within my county then I don't have to pay them as long as I go see my county attorney before the ticket is due, nor does my insurance find out.

He used to look me up each time to see if I had a record, but now he doesn't. So, if you really got a ticket and it was wrong, or if you got one and you know you were speeding, and if you are a decent law abiding citizen, and you haven't had any other tickets in the past few years in the county you were given a ticket, just go to the county attorney. Just walk up in his office, ask to see him, it's literally that easy. At least in my town. And usually he ends up talking to me for a half hour about something else.

Mind you I live in a small town in the south, so that may be why the county attorney is able to take time out of his busy schedule to deal with issues like this. You may find one that's a total jerk and wouldn't think about doing that. Otherwise, you can go to court and tell the judge your side but it won't matter if the police officer who wrote you a ticket shows up. Or, you can get a lawyer if you can't get the prosecutor to forgive it. I once got a ticket for going 120 in a 55 in a 1988 corvette. I was sure I was going to lose my license, my attorney got it dropped to 95 in a 55 and I paid 400.00 and went to traffic school so no points would be held against me. Also my insurance never went up.

So..you do have options.

Last edited by a moderator:

brutehk87

Whenever I've gotten tickets (and I've gotten a LOT) I've just went to the county attorney and had them make it go away or I've gotten a lawyer. I'm not sure where it goes when they make it go away, but as long as I don't get more than 1 every 2 years within my county then I don't have to pay them as long as I go see my county attorney before the ticket is due, nor does my insurance find out.

He used to look me up each time to see if I had a record, but now he doesn't. So, if you really got a ticket and it was wrong, or if you got one and you know you were speeding, and if you are a decent law abiding citizen, and you haven't had any other tickets in the past few years in the county you were given a ticket, just go to the county attorney. Just walk up in his office, ask to see him, it's literally that easy. At least in my town. And usually he ends up talking to me for a half hour about something else.

Mind you I live in a small town in the south, so that may be why the county attorney is able to take time out of his busy schedule to deal with issues like this. You may find one that's a total jerk and wouldn't think about doing that. Otherwise, you can go to court and tell the judge your side but it won't matter if the police officer who wrote you a ticket shows up. Or, you can get a lawyer if you can't get the prosecutor to forgive it. I once got a ticket for going 120 in a 55 in a 1988 corvette. I was sure I was going to lose my license, my attorney got it dropped to 95 in a 55 and I paid 400.00 and went to traffic school so no points would be held against me. Also my insurance never went up.

So..you do have options.
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the helpful advise. I am gonna try this. I would have gone by paying the ticket if I was actually going flying. But this cop was just out to write citations I guess. Thanks again!

Just Blue

Perfect example of why homebuyer should not be posting. Dude, you take this advice and you will be sorry!
Tig...What was the card that gave hommie away??

Perhaps:
ROTFLMBO!!!

brutehk87

Perfect example of why homebuyer should not be posting. Dude, you take this advice and you will be sorry!
Could you tell me why? Honestly I don't know anything about tickets. I am from another country and this is my first citation. I am just looking for help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">