• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully suspended driver’s license and arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Capo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Reside in Missouri, ticket given in Illinois
-
I am seeking advice for my fiance, while on vacation a few months back she received a speeding ticket in Clinton County, IL. She pled guilty etc. and received a speeding ticket. Weeks later we received a notice from the Clinton County court house or PD stating that we needed to pay a $162.00 fine by such and such date or her driver’s license would be suspended. I do not recall the actual “pay by date” but I am positive we paid the fine at least a week or week and half in advance. We called the number listed on the notice and spoke to a county clerk who was able to pull up the ticket and take our payment over phone via credit card. She advised there was no further action needed. (Payment made on 5/20 and processed on 5/21)

We reside in the state of Missouri. On 7/1 my fiance was pulled over for illegal lane use and given a warning. However when her license was ran, the officers advised it was entered into the system on 6/15 as “suspended for failure to appear in court” in the mentioned Clinton County, IL and was arrested. I paid the $200.00 fine to bail her out. She was able to go to the local DMV in Missouri days later and obtain another driver’s license once that local DMV gained confirmation from the Clinton County office that indeed all fines were paid.

She has an upcoming court date in Missouri on 8/5 for the “driving on suspended license”…

Was her license indeed wrongfully suspended since she pled guilty to the speeding ticket and paid the fine on time, in advance? From speaking with the local Missouri officers there would be no reason for her to appear in a court in Clinton County, IL if we indeed paid the fine etc.
Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Reside in Missouri, ticket given in Illinois
-
I am seeking advice for my fiance, while on vacation a few months back she received a speeding ticket in Clinton County, IL. She pled guilty etc. and received a speeding ticket. Weeks later we received a notice from the Clinton County court house or PD stating that we needed to pay a $162.00 fine by such and such date or her driver’s license would be suspended. I do not recall the actual “pay by date” but I am positive we paid the fine at least a week or week and half in advance. We called the number listed on the notice and spoke to a county clerk who was able to pull up the ticket and take our payment over phone via credit card. She advised there was no further action needed. (Payment made on 5/20 and processed on 5/21)

We reside in the state of Missouri. On 7/1 my fiance was pulled over for illegal lane use and given a warning. However when her license was ran, the officers advised it was entered into the system on 6/15 as “suspended for failure to appear in court” in the mentioned Clinton County, IL and was arrested. I paid the $200.00 fine to bail her out. She was able to go to the local DMV in Missouri days later and obtain another driver’s license once that local DMV gained confirmation from the Clinton County office that indeed all fines were paid.

She has an upcoming court date in Missouri on 8/5 for the “driving on suspended license”…

Was her license indeed wrongfully suspended since she pled guilty to the speeding ticket and paid the fine on time, in advance? From speaking with the local Missouri officers there would be no reason for her to appear in a court in Clinton County, IL if we indeed paid the fine etc.
Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
She needs to explain all of this at her court date...preferably with as much documentation as possible to back it up.

davew128

I don't know if she still needed to appear in the IL court or not, but I wouldn't be taking the word of MI officers for that.

Capo

Thank You. I did some further investigation into the payment system on the letter we received, it looks like a third party business set in place for collection purposes across various municipalities. There must of been some sort of disconnect or delay in that business posting the payment. Aggravating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">