• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yea! I won one!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txmmoore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I just had to tell everyone this story, I finally fought the law, and the law lost!

I was issued a ticket for doing 47 in a 35 when I was coming home from work. I admitted to the officer at that time I was doing 45 or so. What was strange, was the next day I was heading home on the same stretch of road, paying close attention to the spped limit signs. I noticed the speed limit was 45, so I was now questioning my conviction. As I approached the spot where the officer was running radar, the speed limit changes to 35. The 35 MPH zone was just over a bridge, and you could not see the sign until you come off the bridge. You have about 200 feet to slow down to the 35 MPH zone.

The officer specifically stated that I was doing 47 coming off the bridge. But, the bridge is in the 45 MPH zone. What is even more interesting is this was a divided street. I was heading north, but the speed limit on the south side of the street is posted as 45 MPH. Even where the officer was running radar, the south side is 45.

I took pictures of the signs, and downloaded the aerial photo from Google as my evidence. When my court time came up, I thought that I had a slame dunk case. But, the judge cited with the officer, staing that I had ample time to slow down to 35. Which to go from 45 to 35 in 200 feet could be done. But, I thought that having a speed limit of 45 on one side of the street and 35 onthe other was unjustified. So, I appealed and asked for a trial by jury. Suggestion - always ask for a jury!

I presented my case again, and like the first time, the officer admitted that he clocked me doing 47 coming off the bridge. I asked the question if he thought having two different speed limits on the same road ws confusing, and he said no. But, the jury and a different judge questioned this. We then had a 30 minute open disucussion, and I could tell the judge was starting to see things my way. To my surprize, the judge dismissed the case, and then proceeded to yell at the officer. Actual quote : "You issued a ticket for doing 10 MPH over the speed limit, where there is uncertainty." "You used poor judgement and have done nothing but waste taxpayers money!" "You need to re-examine the way you issue tickets and have more heart!"

I am still smiling!

I_Got_Banned

Congrats...

I have to mention that a "jury trial" is not an option in traffic court in every state. At least not in California.

Maestro64

Congratulations!!!

Sounds like a classic speed trap from yesteryears...

BTW, you could have request engineering survey for the road to see what was the required posted speed limit, then it would have gotten rid of the officer opinion.

Also, It sounds like the officer measured your speed while still in the 45MPH zone not the 35MPH as he stated you were going 45MPH coming off the bridge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">