• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

it was yellow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marty2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

So I recieved a civil penalty for: failure to stop at a red light. Now I have no problem paying if i feel like I did, but I dont think I was in the wrong.
I've seen the pics and 11 sec. video of my violation.
I would love to fight it, but it would probably cost me more than $75....
my version: im making a right turn...light is green then turns yellow, i get to the intersection line, looked left(no cars) yellow light still and turn right as i see a flash of light. now from the pics and video version, it appears as if i didnt stop.

frame A: time- 10:23:38.9 Amber-4.1 RTime-000.3
Frame B: time- 10:23:40.5 Amber-4.1 RTime-002.0

in the video u see the light turn yellow for about the 4 seconds..okay....in literally like a second! from the light turning red I made a right turn. I didnt not slow down to an already red light and turn anyways...it was yellow! It just makes me mad that i now have to pay a fee for this...

I must say that this very intersection has been in the news when someone fought their red light camera ticket for the same thing because the time was even faster like a 3.something for a yellow light and it seems like they have sinced raised it to the 4.1 seconds. so am i right to be upset to be paying a ticket that i no if i made that same turn with a police officer right behind me, i wouldn't have gotten a ticket because i was not turning on a red...this red light had just turned red for not even a second...ugh...

CraigFL

This is from the Texas Drivers Handbook which is similar in many states:

STEADY YELLOW LIGHT
Caution—red light coming up! You must STOP before entering the nearest
crosswalk at the intersection, if you can do so safely. If a stop cannot be
made safely, you may proceed cautiously through the intersection before the
light changes to red.

JETX

so am i right to be upset to be paying a ticket that i no if i made that same turn with a police officer right behind me, i wouldn't have gotten a ticket because i was not turning on a red...this red light had just turned red for not even a second...ugh...
You can be upset all you want. That doesn't waive the FACT that you entered the intersection on the red.... as shown in the video EVIDENCE.
Pay the ticket.

FlyingRon

Yellow is to warn you. It doesn't mean "hurry up and get through before the light turns red." Not even if you looked the other way and knew you could safely blow through the intersection before the cross traffic got their foot on the gas. You need to stop not just before the stop line but before the crosswalk when making right turns on red. I can't tell you the number of times I've been near bowled over by you clowns when legally crossing as a pedestrian.

The law believes you can not determine that the way is clear without a stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">