+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Caveman1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    Yellow Caution speed sign

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

    Is a yellow caution speed sign, i.e., on an exit ramp, enforcable as a white "speed Limit" sign?
  2. #2
    I_Got_Banned is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Back in LA LA land
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

    Is a yellow caution speed sign, i.e., on an exit ramp, enforcable as a white "speed Limit" sign?
    In my view... it depend on the statute/code section you were cited for.
  3. #3
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Galaxy at Large
    Posts
    5,678
    Yellow signs are advisory only.

    Regulatory signs are black and white - they are enforceable.

    However, depending on what you were cited for violating, you ignoring an advisory sign can help build a case against you for some other violation.
  4. #4
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by HighwayMan View Post
    Yellow signs are advisory only.

    Regulatory signs are black and white - they are enforceable.

    However, depending on what you were cited for violating, you ignoring an advisory sign can help build a case against you for some other violation.

    Yes the other violation is the catch all of too fast for conditions or reckless driving.
  5. #5
    Caveman1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    Caveman

    The citation was for speeding. The location on the ticket (US Hwy 285) has a posted white and black "speed limit" of 65. The ticket states going 60 in a 45 mph zone. The 45 mph caution sign is on the exit ramp from one 65 mph Hwy (C470) to another 65 mph Hwy (US285). I was pulled over on US Hwy 285 in a posted 65 mph speed limit area after using the caution 45 mph ramp. The officer is a Town of Morrison, CO, police officer.
  6. #6
    I_Got_Banned is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Back in LA LA land
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1 View Post
    The citation was for speeding. The location on the ticket (US Hwy 285) has a posted white and black "speed limit" of 65. The ticket states going 60 in a 45 mph zone. The 45 mph caution sign is on the exit ramp from one 65 mph Hwy (C470) to another 65 mph Hwy (US285). I was pulled over on US Hwy 285 in a posted 65 mph speed limit area after using the caution 45 mph ramp. The officer is a Town of Morrison, CO, police officer.
    And again, it depends on which code/statute you were cited for.... In other words... what code/statute number were you cited for?
  7. #7
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1 View Post
    The citation was for speeding. The location on the ticket (US Hwy 285) has a posted white and black "speed limit" of 65. The ticket states going 60 in a 45 mph zone. The 45 mph caution sign is on the exit ramp from one 65 mph Hwy (C470) to another 65 mph Hwy (US285). I was pulled over on US Hwy 285 in a posted 65 mph speed limit area after using the caution 45 mph ramp. The officer is a Town of Morrison, CO, police officer.

    In fact it is a speeding ticket for going 60 in 45 and the 45 is a yellow caution sign you have a winner, since the caution speed on the sign is based on the bank and radius of the curve and center of gravity of vehicle. Meaning vehicle with high center of gravity like a truck it is not advisable to go over 45. In addition when entering a highway from an entrance ramp you are expected to merge at the speed limit of the road and how else can you do that but to accelerating while coming out of the apex of the curve.

    Go take some ticket showing the sign is yellow not black and white and then show the judge rules that shows the only enforceable speed limit is those which are black and white sign an nowhere is there 45 MPH Black and White speed limit sign.

    This must be a new trick the police and towns are using to raise money, I have run across more people recently who got tickets like this for speeding on the on ramp of a highway because the cautionary signs. Either the police have no clue about the laws which I doubt since they are trained professional or they are doing it in hopes people have not clue about the law.
    Last edited by Maestro64; 03-22-2010 at 04:35 PM.
  8. #8
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    53,524
    Maestro - did you steal the crystal ball?
    How did you divine what our op was ACTUALLY charged with?


    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
    In fact it is a speeding ticket for going 60 in 45 and the 45 is a yellow caution sign you have a winner, since the caution speed on the sign is based on the bank and radius of the curve and center of gravity of vehicle. Meaning vehicle with high center of gravity like a truck it is not advisable to go over 45. In addition when entering a highway from an entrance ramp you are expected to merge at the speed limit of the road and how else can you do that but to accelerating while coming out of the apex of the curve.

    Go take some ticket showing the sign is yellow not black and white and then show the judge rules that shows the only enforceable speed limit is those which are black and white sign an nowhere is there 45 MPH Black and White speed limit sign.

    This must be a new trick the police and towns are using to raise money, I have run across more people recently who got tickets like this for speeding on the on ramp of a highway because the cautionary signs. Either the police have no clue about the laws which I doubt since they are trained professional or they are doing it in hopes people have not clue about the law.
  9. #9
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Maestro - did you steal the crystal ball?
    How did you divine what our op was ACTUALLY charged with?
    Notice the Words "If in Fact" when you use the word "If" it is an assumption which is only as good as that assumption which in this case did the op get a speeding ticket, so the op can take it or leave it depending on whether is applies.

    I personally would say it more likely than not since the other options would be too fast for conditions or reckless driving in both of those cases the officer would not have written as the op said 60 in 45. As far as I am aware there no ticket for failure to obey a cautionary sign. There is always the failure to obey a traffic control device but then again why put 60 in 45.

    In this case I was not going to wait around while you all drag out all the details so you can dissect it all and try and find the one element why he may be guilty.

Similar Threads

  1. My name on a yellow sign
    By k1rms in forum Civil Rights & Discrimination Law
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
  2. Speed survey with electronic speed sign?
    By shimzah in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 06:01 AM
  3. speed trap, no speed limit sign road! Is this Legal? HELP!
    By derrickbray in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
  4. Speed Limit sign on ROW
    By Indiana Filer in forum Neighbors & Boundaries
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 08:22 AM
  5. help on speed limit sign
    By ex accord ex in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-02-2002, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.