+ Reply to Thread
    Caveman1 is offline Junior Member

Yellow Caution speed sign

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Is a yellow caution speed sign, i.e., on an exit ramp, enforcable as a white "speed Limit" sign?
    I_Got_Banned is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Is a yellow caution speed sign, i.e., on an exit ramp, enforcable as a white "speed Limit" sign?
    In my view... it depend on the statute/code section you were cited for.
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    Yellow signs are advisory only.

Regulatory signs are black and white - they are enforceable.

However, depending on what you were cited for violating, you ignoring an advisory sign can help build a case against you for some other violation.
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HighwayMan View Post
    Yellow signs are advisory only.

Regulatory signs are black and white - they are enforceable.

However, depending on what you were cited for violating, you ignoring an advisory sign can help build a case against you for some other violation.

Yes the other violation is the catch all of too fast for conditions or reckless driving.
    Caveman1 is offline Junior Member

Caveman

The citation was for speeding. The location on the ticket (US Hwy 285) has a posted white and black "speed limit" of 65. The ticket states going 60 in a 45 mph zone. The 45 mph caution sign is on the exit ramp from one 65 mph Hwy (C470) to another 65 mph Hwy (US285). I was pulled over on US Hwy 285 in a posted 65 mph speed limit area after using the caution 45 mph ramp. The officer is a Town of Morrison, CO, police officer.
    I_Got_Banned is offline Senior Member
    The citation was for speeding. The location on the ticket (US Hwy 285) has a posted white and black "speed limit" of 65. The ticket states going 60 in a 45 mph zone. The 45 mph caution sign is on the exit ramp from one 65 mph Hwy (C470) to another 65 mph Hwy (US285). I was pulled over on US Hwy 285 in a posted 65 mph speed limit area after using the caution 45 mph ramp. The officer is a Town of Morrison, CO, police officer.
    And again, it depends on which code/statute you were cited for.... In other words... what code/statute number were you cited for?

In fact it is a speeding ticket for going 60 in 45 and the 45 is a yellow caution sign you have a winner, since the caution speed on the sign is based on the bank and radius of the curve and center of gravity of vehicle. Meaning vehicle with high center of gravity like a truck it is not advisable to go over 45. In addition when entering a highway from an entrance ramp you are expected to merge at the speed limit of the road and how else can you do that but to accelerating while coming out of the apex of the curve.

Go take some ticket showing the sign is yellow not black and white and then show the judge rules that shows the only enforceable speed limit is those which are black and white sign an nowhere is there 45 MPH Black and White speed limit sign.

This must be a new trick the police and towns are using to raise money, I have run across more people recently who got tickets like this for speeding on the on ramp of a highway because the cautionary signs. Either the police have no clue about the laws which I doubt since they are trained professional or they are doing it in hopes people have not clue about the law.
    Last edited by Maestro64; 03-22-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Maestro - did you steal the crystal ball?
    How did you divine what our op was ACTUALLY charged with?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
    In fact it is a speeding ticket for going 60 in 45 and the 45 is a yellow caution sign you have a winner, since the caution speed on the sign is based on the bank and radius of the curve and center of gravity of vehicle. Meaning vehicle with high center of gravity like a truck it is not advisable to go over 45. In addition when entering a highway from an entrance ramp you are expected to merge at the speed limit of the road and how else can you do that but to accelerating while coming out of the apex of the curve.

Go take some ticket showing the sign is yellow not black and white and then show the judge rules that shows the only enforceable speed limit is those which are black and white sign an nowhere is there 45 MPH Black and White speed limit sign.

This must be a new trick the police and towns are using to raise money, I have run across more people recently who got tickets like this for speeding on the on ramp of a highway because the cautionary signs. Either the police have no clue about the laws which I doubt since they are trained professional or they are doing it in hopes people have not clue about the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Maestro - did you steal the crystal ball?
    How did you divine what our op was ACTUALLY charged with?
    Notice the Words "If in Fact" when you use the word "If" it is an assumption which is only as good as that assumption which in this case did the op get a speeding ticket, so the op can take it or leave it depending on whether is applies.

I personally would say it more likely than not since the other options would be too fast for conditions or reckless driving in both of those cases the officer would not have written as the op said 60 in 45. As far as I am aware there no ticket for failure to obey a cautionary sign. There is always the failure to obey a traffic control device but then again why put 60 in 45.

In this case I was not going to wait around while you all drag out all the details so you can dissect it all and try and find the one element why he may be guilty.