• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Coloring Book w/Original Drawings of Book Characters by Living Author ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ASUSAN48

Michigan

I am contemplating creating an adult coloring book based on the characters in books written by a very famous and still-living author. What are the legal ramifications?
The drawings will be originals created by an illustrator, not copied from the book covers or the books themselves. Is it acceptable to use the author's name, such as "based upon the books of...."?

Thank you for your assistance.

quincy

Michigan

I am contemplating creating an adult coloring book based on the characters in books written by a very famous and still-living author. What are the legal ramifications?
The drawings will be originals created by an illustrator, not copied from the book covers or the books themselves. Is it acceptable to use the author's name, such as "based upon the books of...."?

Thank you for your assistance.
The legal ramifications of using an author's literary characters for an adult coloring book without obtaining consent from the author? You can be sued by the author.

ASUSAN48

The legal ramifications of using an author's literary characters for an adult coloring book without obtaining consent from the author? You can be sued by the author.
I should have stated that in my post. I intend to obtain permission prior to beginning the project.

quincy

I should have stated that in my post. I intend to obtain permission prior to beginning the project.
Oh. In that case and with the author's permission, you can do with the author's characters what you and the author agree in advance and in writing that you can do with the author's characters - as long as the author still retains all copyrights in his works.

You need to make sure that the author has not transferred rights to anyone else, such as to a publisher or, depending on the author and the work, to a movie studio.

And you will want your coloring book draft reviewed prior to publicatoin by a publishing law professional to best ensure you are not violating any other laws (obscenity, whatever).

ASUSAN48

Oh. In that case and with the author's permission, you can do with the author's characters what you and the author agree in advance and in writing that you can do with the author's characters - as long as the author still retains all copyrights in his works.

You need to make sure that the author has not transferred rights to anyone else, such as to a publisher or, depending on the author and the work, to a movie studio.

And you will want your coloring book draft reviewed prior to publicatoin by a publishing law professional to best ensure you are not violating any other laws (obscenity, whatever).
Thank you.

quincy

The best place to start would be to contact the author's legal representation - for permission to use the characters and author's name, correct?
Contacting the author directly can be possible. Contacting the author's agent can be possible. Contacting the author's publisher can be possible.

Getting the necessary and proper permissions to use works that are rights-protected can often involve contacting many people, depending on who holds the rights and how they are held.

Good luck.

ASUSAN48

Contacting the author directly can be possible. Contacting the author's agent can be possible. Contacting the author's publisher can be possible.

Getting the necessary and proper permissions to use works that are rights-protected can often involve contacting many people, depending on who holds the rights and how they are held.

Good luck.
Thank you for your help, Quincy. I appreciate it. I've left a message with the author's legal representation as a starting point, since their website states they handle the legal issues surrounding intellectual property. It's a start. If I can't obtain permission, the whole project falls flat, but at least I will have tried to go through the proper channels.

quincy

Thank you for your help, Quincy. I appreciate it. I've left a message with the author's legal representation as a starting point, since their website states they handle the legal issues surrounding intellectual property. It's a start. If I can't obtain permission, the whole project falls flat, but at least I will have tried to go through the proper channels.
You are starting off your project wisely by seeking permission from the rights-holder(s). Nothing sours a creative project quite so quickly as a costly lawsuit.

Good luck, ASUNSAN48. Thanks for the thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">