• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I violating a trademark?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

voormann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In Pennsylvania, but discussing Alabama

Do I need permission to make and sell prints of a painting of a trademarked building? I have a commission to paint several scenes on the grounds of a well known university in the state of Alabama. It is turning out well and we (the client and I) decided to look into the idea of doing limited-edition prints from the paintings, as a sort of joint venture. We were told by a local printer that we would need clearance from the university to depict the buildings, because the image of the bell tower is trademarked in one case, and in the other the school logo is visible. We were also told that the school does not respond to individual inquiries and that we would need to pay $250 per image to the print shop owner, who is related to somebody at the school, to get clearance. Needless to say, we are not crazy about that but if we have to, we will just pay up. But it seems worthwhile to pause and ponder if we should just skip that step, go with another printer and see what happens. Initially sales would be word-of-mouth but I might also want to sell them through my website. Should we write to the school ourselves seeking permission (despite what we have been told about their disinclination to respond)? Would we actually be in violation of trademark law? I should say, my client is a big supporter of the school and doesn’t want to make a stink, but neither of us are happy about the graft or the expense. I would appreciate any help, opinions, or suggestions.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In Pennsylvania, but discussing Alabama

Do I need permission to make and sell prints of a painting of a trademarked building? I have a commission to paint several scenes on the grounds of a well known university in the state of Alabama. It is turning out well and we (the client and I) decided to look into the idea of doing limited-edition prints from the paintings, as a sort of joint venture. We were told by a local printer that we would need clearance from the university to depict the buildings, because the image of the bell tower is trademarked in one case, and in the other the school logo is visible. We were also told that the school does not respond to individual inquiries and that we would need to pay $250 per image to the print shop owner, who is related to somebody at the school, to get clearance. Needless to say, we are not crazy about that but if we have to, we will just pay up. But it seems worthwhile to pause and ponder if we should just skip that step, go with another printer and see what happens. Initially sales would be word-of-mouth but I might also want to sell them through my website. Should we write to the school ourselves seeking permission (despite what we have been told about their disinclination to respond)? Would we actually be in violation of trademark law? I should say, my client is a big supporter of the school and doesn’t want to make a stink, but neither of us are happy about the graft or the expense. I would appreciate any help, opinions, or suggestions.
When a building is also a trademark, the trademark holder has rights to how the building is depicted and used by others. You would be smart to get permission from the trademark holder to use the mark in a commercial venture.

Legal issues can arise from the unauthorized use of another's trademark (disparagement, consumer confusion, unauthorized affiliation with trademark holder ...). Being granted permission to use the mark prior to using it eliminates the risk of these legal issues giving rise to a legal action.

Following are three links, the first two to the IP rights held by two universities in Alabama (The University of Alabama, Auburn University) and the third link is to a case involving the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum (a trademark) and the photographer who took photos of it for sale to the public.

The University of Alabama: http://fawp.ua.edu/purchasing/licensing/

Auburn University: http://www.auburn.edu/administration/trademark/demo.html

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum v. Gentile Productions, 71 F.Supp. 2d 755 (N.D. Ohio 1999): http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/71/755/2515490/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">