• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get Sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smittylou

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have an idea to develop a show using other industry toys. The toys will actually be completely covered, except their arms and legs. Other than that, you could not recognize them. Some may by the footwear of the toys. The show will be for YouTube but I do plan on making merchandise if it gets popular, high hopes.

Can I get sued for this? The character would be a covered Mickey Mouse toy only showing the black arms with white gloves and tan shoes.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have an idea to develop a show using other industry toys. The toys will actually be completely covered, except their arms and legs. Other than that, you could not recognize them. Some may by the footwear of the toys. The show will be for YouTube but I do plan on making merchandise if it gets popular, high hopes.

Can I get sued for this? The character would be a covered Mickey Mouse toy only showing the black arms with white gloves and tan shoes.
Messing with anything Disney is likely to get you a cease and desist notice and threats of a lawsuit if not an outright infringement lawsuit.

Whether any legal action filed against you would have any merit, however, depends on the actual show and how it is promoted and how recognizable the toys are and how the toys are depicted and for what purpose they are depicted ... among other factors that will be considered.

You should have your show reviewed by an IP attorney in your area prior to broadcasting it to the public.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">