• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I hire an author for my book?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needalawyer

I have some ideas for book/s, but I wouldn't want to be the author of them.

I was thinking about hiring someone to publish them for me, to pretend to be the author of the book/s for my behalf. I know I could just write the books and sell them to this person, but I don't know the value of the books, I could only estimate it, I can't know how much the 'fake author' will make money with them, meaning I might over/under estimate the value of my books. Is there a way I could bind this fake author to give 70 percent of their income from the books to me?

Also what if the person I hired to be the author decides to be an *sshole in interviews or to the fans of the books... Could I legally control what the author of my book says or writes publicly?

Silverplum

I was thinking about hiring someone to publish them for me, to pretend to be the author of the book/s for my behalf. I know I could just write the books and sell them to this person, but I don't know the value of the books, I could only estimate it, I can't know how much the 'fake author' will make money with them, meaning I might over/under estimate the value of my books. Is there a way I could bind this fake author to give 70 percent of their income from the books to me?

Also what if the person I hired to be the author decides to be an *sshole in interviews or to the fans of the books... Could I legally control what the author of my book says or writes publicly?
It's called a 'ghostwriter,' and you can request anything legal in a contract. The harder part is getting the other party to agree to all of your terms.

quincy

Where do you live, needalawyer? If in the US, what is the name of your state?

Most writers write with other people. They write with coauthors or they write with editors or they write with illustrators or they write with photographers or they write, as Silverplum noted, with ghostwriters.

To avoid conflict when working and writing with others, a contract should be written that governs the relationship and the contract should be signed by all parties.

For a contract that will cover all terms of the agreement properly and to ensure the contract will be legally enforceable in court, it is always advised to have a publishing law professional draft the agreement.

You can locate these professionals by contacting your State Bar Association.

You are smart to consider the legalities involved when thinking of collaborating with anyone.

Last edited:

needalawyer

Thanks for the quick replies.

I live in Finland, but I guess it doesn't matter now, when I plan to release the book I'll seek some local legal advice. I just needed to know that my idea would work, so thanks again

quincy

Thanks for the quick replies.

I live in Finland, but I guess it doesn't matter now, when I plan to release the book I'll seek some local legal advice. I just needed to know that my idea would work, so thanks again
Thank you for the thanks. Both Silverplum and I appreciate them.

That said, this site handles US law questions only so it will be smart for you to seek out advice in Finland. Although publishing laws can be similar from country to country, there can also be significant differences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">