• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use a name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wassdeet

CA

I'm writing a collection of short stories based on my travelling. It was sort of inspired by actress Mary Lou Henner who has remarkable memory and talks about it on radio, TV and anywhere else. I wanted to use her name in my introduction as to how it gave me my particular memory of road trips. I thought the best thing is to reach her "people" or just say "an actress".

quincy

CA

I'm writing a collection of short stories based on my travelling. It was sort of inspired by actress Mary Lou Henner who has remarkable memory and talks about it on radio, TV and anywhere else. I wanted to use her name in my introduction as to how it gave me my particular memory of road trips. I thought the best thing is to reach her "people" or just say "an actress".
You can generally refer to someone by name as having had an influence on your life. What you cannot do is use a name in a way that makes anyone think that this person endorses or sponsors or is in any way connected with your book. You cannot use the name to promote your book. And your book should not be one that could cause the person's reputation to suffer by being connected with it (e.g., if you write a book of questionable taste, you could be sued for placing the named person in a false light).

That said, getting permission is ALWAYS best, because it prevents the possibility of a suit arising over your use of the name. You should get this permission in writing and signed by the person whose name you wish to use. Having your book reviewed by a publishing law professional is also always recommended.

Working at the start to avoid a lawsuit over your book's content is always better than having to defend against a lawsuit that arises over your content later.

Good luck, Wassdeet.

Mnemosyne

In the end, if you do refer to the actress by name, make sure to spell her name correctly.

(She spells it "Marilu", and it is actually a nickname.)

quincy

In the end, if you do refer to the actress by name, make sure to spell her name correctly.

(She spells it "Marilu", and it is actually a nickname.)
That is another good reason to have a manuscript reviewed and edited by a professional before publication. :)

"I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."*

*attributed to many, including "Big Tim" Sullivan, Oscar Wilde, P.T. Barnum, Mark Twain ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">