• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compilation CD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cutdigital

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I work for a Post Production company and I want to create a Mix Cd to give to clients. From my understanding I need a license for Mechanical use - placed on a CD? Is there any way round this? There are tons of Mix CD's being sold on the Internet, now I know these are not replicated discs since most of these mixes are home spun. Done on a home computer with printer for labeling. I want to replicate the discs so looks professional.

Now I know I can make my own mix CD from music that I purchased. So what if I give this CD to someone for no charge. Am I breaking copyright law?

Any insight would be helpful.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

Now I know I can make my own mix CD from music that I purchased. So what if I give this CD to someone for no charge. Am I breaking copyright law?

?
yes

There are tons of Mix CD's being sold on the Internet, now I know these are not replicated discs since most of these mixes are home spun. Done on a home computer with printer for labeling.
Doesn't mean they are legal.

FlyingRon

Not only do you need the mechanicals (which are not all that hard or expensive), you need the master rights to the recordings you are mixing from as well.

As justa says, it really makes no difference whether you sell or give it away (other than perhaps how much you get sued for later).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">