• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality Agreement Legal Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Global Citizen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Last week I was on a TV talk show and chosen to ask a question to the guest. There was a lot going on and right before the camera was on me, I was handed a few pages and asked to sign/print/date the first page.

There was no time given to read it and it was very small print. Honestly, I couldn't even think straight and was overwhelmed but a lot going on plus nervous.
So, I signed.

I assume it was a confidentiality agreement of some sort or release to be allowed to be shown on TV or both.

My question was an emotional one and things didn't go well. I also put the guest on the spot with some things and that wasn't liked. The show aired the next day and they cut out my question airing with this persons answer. A lot was cut from the show, as they are.

I don't care about being on TV, been many times and it is not why I was there. I was there for answers.

This is hard because I know an attorney can't answer maybe w/o seeing the agreement but I would like to speak out on what really happened. I'd like to speak the truth of what was said and how other things were handled and were edited.

Opinions on risk of doing that and if there was a room full of people plus it is recorded by the show anyway, can I say the truth w/o risk? They can't deny what happened. I'm not even sure it was confidentiality agreement, it could have just been a release form.

Any info..is appreciated. I'm very upset this person can get away with so much and the truth not out. I'm not really upset with the show because i know they all edit but after the show at least 30 people in the audience said I was very brave and were so happy I spoke up and was honest. The show was edited to look totally different and in favor of this guest.

Thanks for any help.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Last week I was on a TV talk show and chosen to ask a question to the guest. There was a lot going on and right before the camera was on me, I was handed a few pages and asked to sign/print/date the first page.

There was no time given to read it and it was very small print. Honestly, I couldn't even think straight and was overwhelmed but a lot going on plus nervous.
So, I signed.

I assume it was a confidentiality agreement of some sort or release to be allowed to be shown on TV or both.

My question was an emotional one and things didn't go well. I also put the guest on the spot with some things and that wasn't liked. The show aired the next day and they cut out my question airing with this persons answer. A lot was cut from the show, as they are.

I don't care about being on TV, been many times and it is not why I was there. I was there for answers.

This is hard because I know an attorney can't answer maybe w/o seeing the agreement but I would like to speak out on what really happened. I'd like to speak the truth of what was said and how other things were handled and were edited.

Opinions on risk of doing that and if there was a room full of people plus it is recorded by the show anyway, can I say the truth w/o risk? They can't deny what happened. I'm not even sure it was confidentiality agreement, it could have just been a release form.

Any info..is appreciated. I'm very upset this person can get away with so much and the truth not out. I'm not really upset with the show because i know they all edit but after the show at least 30 people in the audience said I was very brave and were so happy I spoke up and was honest. The show was edited to look totally different and in favor of this guest.

Thanks for any help.
The agreement you signed needs to be personally reviewed in its entirety.

Whenever you are not given time to review the terms of an agreement, you should refuse to sign the agreement until given the time. If you don't understand the terms or conditions as written, you should not sign until you are clear on the terms and conditions. Your signature legally binds you to the terms and conditions as outlined.

You probably agreed to give the producers all rights to the contents of the broadcast, including the right to edit the content as they see fit.

I suggest you get a copy of what you signed and have it reviewed by an attorney in your area, to see exactly what you have agreed to do and not do.

Global Citizen

The agreement you signed needs to be personally reviewed in its entirety.

Whenever you are not given time to review the terms of an agreement, you should refuse to sign the agreement until given the time. If you don't understand the terms or conditions as written, you should not sign until you are clear on the terms and conditions. Your signature legally binds you to the terms and conditions as outlined.

You probably agreed to give the producers all rights to the contents of the broadcast, including the right to edit the content as they see fit.

I suggest you get a copy of what you signed and have it reviewed by an attorney in your area, to see exactly what you have agreed to do and not do.

Thanks and yes I am aware I should have read it. W/o rereading what I said, I think I mentioned that. There was no way to read it and it's over now, so I like to move forward.

I also knew they would edit. That's fine, it is not the first show I have been on and also know all shows edit.

I can't afford to get an attorney, that is why I'm posting on a free forum. Maybe not possible for anyone to give any advice on this one, was just hoping for something helpful.

quincy

Thanks and yes I am aware I should have read it. W/o rereading what I said, I think I mentioned that. There was no way to read it and it's over now, so I like to move forward.

I also knew they would edit. That's fine, it is not the first show I have been on and also know all shows edit.

I can't afford to get an attorney, that is why I'm posting on a free forum. Maybe not possible for anyone to give any advice on this one, was just hoping for something helpful.
Without reading the contract you signed in its entirety, there is not much anyone can offer in the way of advice - and we cannot do personal reviews of contracts on this forum anyway.

If you want to speak out about what was broadcast, there is nothing that can prevent you from doing so, even if what you signed had a confidentiality clause. There are only potential consequences for you should you speak out. Again, without reading what you agreed to with your signature, there can only be guesses as to what these consequences might be.

For example, I know of at least two reality shows whose participants sign contracts that include confidentiality clauses with $1 million+ penalties for revealing the outcome of the shows before the show's final episode is broadcast.

I recommend you get a copy of what you signed and have it personally reviewed. Perhaps there is a law school in your area with a benevolent law professor willing to read what you signed and offer you an opinion for free.

quincy

Then do what my mother used to tell me.

If you don't have something good to say about something, don't say anything.
Or, if you feel compelled to say something bad about something, make sure what you say is provably true, pure opinion, doesn't violate the terms of any contract you signed, doesn't infringe on any privacy rights, et cetera (because I am sure I am leaving stuff out), this so that if you ARE sued, you might have a fighting chance on your own to defeat a claim filed against you. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">