• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massage Customer suing therapist for sex harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quantcook

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am a massage therapist licensed in WA and had a client ( who works as a guard in the correction center) who I gave massage a few times in last year.
during her last visit, she requested oil massage and in order to perform it better, I asked if she would like to take off her underwear.
She agreed and I stood away when she get herself undressed.
She asked me to hold her underwear during the time.
I finished the session for her and she paid and tipped and then left.
a few months past and one day she came back with her husband and her dog into our shop and said she was sexually harassed during the day.
another 2 customers in the shop get disturbed by them and not happy with their noise and stood up and start arguing with the couple.
The couple left and said they would sue me.
I received a court hearing letter last week.
My question is will WA board of massage provide any legal counsel or even low cost legal service for me? what will be my best action on this.

Proserpina

I am a massage therapist licensed in WA and had a client ( who works as a guard in the correction center) who I gave massage a few times in last year.
during her last visit, she requested oil massage and in order to perform it better, I asked if she would like to take off her underwear.
a few months past and one day she came back with her husband and her dog into our shop and said she was sexually harassed during the day.
another 2 customers in the shop get disturbed by them and not happy with their noise and stood up and start arguing with the couple.
My question is will WA board of massage provide any legal counsel or even low cost legal service for me? what will be my best action on this.
Call them and ask.

https://www.amtamassage.org/regulation/detail/46

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why don't you turn this over to your own insurance?

I think I know why...you probably aren't insured, are you?

quincy

The American Massage Therapy Association legal assistance (the link to which Proserpina provided above) is available to AMTA members only. It is a good resource if you are a member.

I am curious about the "court hearing letter" you received, though. Is the letter a summons and complaint notifying you that you are being sued for sexual harassment? The sexual harassment was said to be from the session you had with the woman a few months ago, when you asked to hold her underwear?

I don't exactly understand the inclusion of the argument in the massage shop between the couple and the other two customers.

Whatever the case, if you are sued, you would be smart to seek legal help, either through the AMTA or through a local legal aid clinic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">