• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offensive Commercial Ad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiljon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Is there anything I could do if a commercial ad was offensive to me. The commercial made fun of a medical condition I have.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

Is there anything I could do if a commercial ad was offensive to me. The commercial made fun of a medical condition I have.
Turn off the TV, and resolve to never purchase from the brand.

quincy

You can contact the company whose product is being advertised and voice your displeasure over the ad.

A company does not want to offend consumers with its ads. That defeats the purpose of a company's advertising which is to create a positive public image so consumers will be attracted to its brand. If enough consumers complain about a company's ad, the company could re-think their advertising in the future and perhaps pull the current offensive ad from the air.

That said, some of the worst ads that are aired will attract public attention. It is sometimes the case that even bad (not offensive) advertising is good advertising for a company if it gets the company's name out to the public.

Your other option is to swear never to purchase the product being hawked and to shut off the ad whenever it is aired, as CTU said.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think the chances that a commercial actually "made fun of" a medical condition are exceedingly slim. I suspect the OP is simply extremely sensitive about his/her condition.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I think the chances that a commercial actually "made fun of" a medical condition are exceedingly slim. I suspect the OP is simply extremely sensitive about his/her condition.
I think so, yes.

Specially given the overly-PC society we live in.

quincy

That could be the case. I was trying to think of some of the commercials I have viewed and, while a lot of them are obnoxious, I don't remember seeing any that were offensive.

Justice Stewart once said about offensive material: "Patently offensive, indecent material presented over the airwaves confronts the citizen not only in public, but also in the privacy of their home, where the individual's right to be left alone clearly outweighs the First Amendment rights of the intruder."

Broadcasting is a well-regulated industry so truly offensive ads do not live long. That said, our idea of "offensive" has changed over the years. We accept without question and on a regular basis that which at another time would have been deemed offensive. Sometimes it is important to draw lines. Complaints to a company can help draw these lines.

AdjunctFL

I wonder if the offensive commercial ad that makes fun of a medical condition is from the current political campaign. If so, vote for the other candidate.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I wonder if the offensive commercial ad that makes fun of a medical condition is from the current political campaign. If so, vote for the other candidate.
*facepalm*

I should have picked up on that. I think you may be correct, Adjunct.

quincy

I am the Queen of Boycotts.

:cool:
Boycotting a product can be effective but it helps if you let the company know WHY you are boycotting their product.

If your boycott is only because of the way the product is advertised, the company won't know to change their advertising unless you make your objections known (although a drop in the company's revenue after an ad campaign often tells the company their ad campaign was not successful).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I took the OP literally. A "commercial" ad is of a commercial nature, whereas a political ad is of a political nature. With that said, our OP may not have been quite so literal, so you're right. This could have been a political ad.

Last edited:

quincy

I took the OP literally. A "commercial" ad is of a commercial, whereas a political ad is of a political nature. With that said, our OP may not have been quite so literal, so you're right. This could have been a political ad.
I took the original post as you did, Zigner, but, if this IS about a political ad, the ad will not be appearing that much longer anyway so Wiljon can take some comfort in that.

Silverplum

Boycotting a product can be effective but it helps if you let the company know WHY you are boycotting their product.

If your boycott is only because of the way the product is advertised, the company won't know to change their advertising unless you make your objections known (although a drop in the company's revenue after an ad campaign often tells the company their ad campaign was not successful).
I'm all about letting companies know what they are doing to irritate me, and that I will boycott them. :p

Last July, I wrote every NFL sponsor of my extreme displeasure at the 'antics' of Browns player Crowell, and my intent to boycott. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">