• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Entertainment/Convention/Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DarknessComes

So, we live in Virginia, but I know this happens in all cities and states. There are conventions, dragoncon, animeUSA, fursacon, etc. What I am trying to figure out is, can these privately owned conventions, ban people who have done nothing illegal. Have never been removed, never broken any laws, but because they simply do not WANT someone there, they refuse to sell them a badge for entry.

The second question is, if they cannot, what recourse do people have? These are conventions that are in multiple cities and states,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, we live in Virginia, but I know this happens in all cities and states. There are conventions, dragoncon, animeUSA, fursacon, etc. What I am trying to figure out is, can these privately owned conventions, ban people who have done nothing illegal. Have never been removed, never broken any laws, but because they simply do not WANT someone there, they refuse to sell them a badge for entry.

The second question is, if they cannot, what recourse do people have? These are conventions that are in multiple cities and states,
We don't do hypotheticals - sorry.

CdwJava

Yeah, they do have a great deal of latitude to refuse admission. The question is: Why would they randomly decide to refuse admission to YOU (r, whomever) unless they had a problem with that person? But, if the person caused a disruption for some reason, or broke a rule, or did not fit in for any reason NOT protected by law, they can be refused admission or have it revoked.

If you read the fine print in most any such convention, you will find language similar to this: "XXXCon reserves the right to refuse admission, to refuse service and/or to cancel/revoke your badge/entry/etc. at XXXCon’s discretion."

DarknessComes

Hypothetical

It's actually not a hypothetical, It happens all the time. In this case, it has also happened to me, in fact I used to previous be a volunteer at several of these conventions. In this case, I withdrew as a volunteer last year, no special reason, I had other things I needed to do, and now I find myself banned. No good reason, no legal reason, never been removed, just the fact that someone has stated I am not allowed to gain entry as a paid member. It not only happened to me, but I know of many others it has happened to, simply because a senior staff member doesn't like someone. They have no reason that makes any sense at all for this action.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's actually not a hypothetical, It happens all the time. In this case, it has also happened to me, in fact I used to previous be a volunteer at several of these conventions. In this case, I withdrew as a volunteer last year, no special reason, I had other things I needed to do, and now I find myself banned. No good reason, no legal reason, never been removed, just the fact that someone has stated I am not allowed to gain entry as a paid member. It not only happened to me, but I know of many others it has happened to, simply because a senior staff member doesn't like someone. They have no reason that makes any sense at all for this action.
Under the circumstances you have described, it is perfectly legal.

CdwJava

Yeah, it sucks and it may not be fair, but it sounds perfectly legal.

FlyingRon

Absolutely. Unless there is some illegal discrimination (by race, creed, etc...), a private enterprise (such as the these cons) is free to ban ANYBODY for ANY REASON (including not giving a reason at all).
In fact, even if they hold it in a public space (like a municipal convention center or public park), they are entitled to do so.

CdwJava

I have been attending cons of all stripes (mostly sci-fi and fantasy ones) since I was a young teen (1976) and they have all had this right. So, it has been a common practice for at least 40 years.

And, speaking of cons, only 19 days until I will be at the granddaddy monster of them all! http://www.comic-con.org/ Year 9 in a row of attending with my oldest son!

FlyingRon

I was a denizen and even worker at Balticon (was even assistant registration chairman one year), Disclave, and Boskone over the years. Did worldcons in Anaheim, Baltimore, and Atlanta.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">